The Best PC Storage: SSD, HDD, External Drives & NAS

I bought the Synology DS220+ a few months ago and have been very happy with it. It replaces a WD NAS that was awful in comparison. The software on the Synology is quite nice, It gives you a desktop experience in the browser so you can install apps and manage your files etc, Also has a suite of tools similar to google docs/sheets etc but they actually seem a bit more polished, So it helped me reduce my dependence on Google too. There is a LOT more to it (Far more than I need tbh) but if like me you just want somewhere to store/backup your stuff that is easy to set up then it's worth a look.

The Synology DS419+ is a curio that would seem almost perfect in the world of SSDs, if only they would upgrade it with a 10Gb ethernet port. For 3.5" NAS units I tend to go with asustor, they're usually cheaper, work well, and have 2.5Gb models with intel CPUs.

The seagate ironwolfs are far better then the reds, honestly I would never tell someone to buy a red. The rreds have worse nonrecoverable error rates, no vibration sensor (which isutterly bizzare to not have in a NAS drive), and are all 5400/5900RPM, compared to the larger 7200RPM ironwolfs. And they're about the same price.

I've been running the DS1618+ for over a year and it is pretty much flawless.... The only thing I wish is that they could pack a faster CPU - the Atom C3538 is pretty weak... but you only see that when using a Plex server and transcoding 4k video...

Corsair mp600 Pro does 7000 and 6850 and mp600 Pro Hydro X does 7000 and 7000 because its water-cooled [out of stock at Newegg at the moment] They didn't check the latest figures before they posted.

There is one REALLY annoying quirk with WD MyBook drives. If you have one plugged in, you cannot plug in another one because it won't be "seen" as the two drives will conflict with each other.

I have several 4TB MyBook drives as bookshelf backup drives and this was an issue that I wasn't prepared for and it annoyed me because it meant that I could only backup to one drive at a time. It wasn't until later that I found out about a way to fix the error in disk management.

There is one REALLY annoying quirk with WD MyBook drives. If you have one plugged in, you cannot plug in another one because it won't be "seen" as the two drives will conflict with each other.

I have several 4TB MyBook drives as bookshelf backup drives and this was an issue that I wasn't prepared for and it annoyed me because it meant that I could only backup to one drive at a time. It wasn't until later that I found out about a way to fix the error in disk management.
You just have to rename one of them before you plug the other in.... had the same problem as well :)

Alternatively, rolling your own "peasant NAS" out of spare parts is cheaper than ever at the moment. I built one with a used processor, new old stock MB, and case with room for 6 bays for less than the 2-bay model mentioned here; in fact, the case was the most expensive part of the build at $80. A lot of enthusiasts I think are unloading old or low-powered parts hoping to make enough for a graphics card or screaming fast SSD, so there are a lot of ripe pickings out there.

Last edited:
I got the SN750 last year and love it. It's a great choice because of price, it doesn't require data and power cables and it's more speed than I currently need. Using it with mobo heatsink keeping it between 37C and 40C in my case.

With it's current AMD compatibility problems I wouldn't go with the WD SN750 until WD fix the problem and yes it's a known issue that WD is yet to do anything about

So is the

"Samsung's SSD 980 is on sale today: $65 for half a terabyte, $120 for 1TB"

leader in the article a "click bait" ? I did not see any links leading to a seller's site.

Back