The internet reacts to cringeworthy Forspoken trailer with parodies and anger

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: There are several good reasons to be excited about Forspoken, the action-RPG from Square Enix and Luminous Productions. Not only does it look like a potentially excellent game, but it's likely to be the first PC title to use Microsoft's DirectStorage. Sadly, its latest trailer fails to incite any feelings of excitement; instead, viewers have been left cringing so badly that their actual skeletons are curling (possibly).

The 32-second trailer posted on the official Forspoken Twitter account shows plenty of impressive gameplay. The internet has been going wild over it, but not for the game itself; it's the dialogue spoken by protagonist Frey Holland that has people rushing to reply.

"So let me get this straight," Holland says, in a semi-sarcastic/cynical tone that would make Chandler Bing blush. "I'm somewhere that's not what I would call Earth, I'm seeing freaking dragons, and—oh yeah!—I'm talking to a cuff! Yeah, OK, that is something I do now. I do magic, kill jacked-up beasts, I'll probably fly next."

There is some good to have come from the trailer—not from Square Enix's point of view, obviously. It's led to a slew of very funny imitations in which the dialogue is applied to other games. The God of War parody is a highlight:

So is this Bloodborne one.

There are absolutely loads more like this.

PC Gamer notes that the surprising thing about all this is the number of high-profile writers attached to Forspoken. Veteran television scriptwriter Allison Rymer is one, as is Amy Hennig, known for her work on the Uncharted and Legacy of Kain series.

Some of the comments aren't humorous, though. A few people say the dialogue is so bad that it's put them off playing a game they'd previously been looking forward to. Hopefully, or surely, what we hear in the final product won't be as bad as what's in the trailer.

Forspoken was delayed for a second time last month, moving the launch from October to January 2023, meaning we're now unlikely to see Microsoft DirectStorage technology running in Windows 11 this year.

Permalink to story.

Oof, she sounds like she's just collecting a paycheck

sadly this game came with my graphics card, if its one of those games where the character never shuts up then I see myself just giving that code away

This game already didn't look promising. It's really only mentioned anywhere because of Direct Storage or delays (which are becoming one and the same). Laughable writing is no surprise.

No, it was not "garbage" in the slightest.
The last of us was an interesting concept as a graphic novel or some variant of interactive narrative experience. As a game however both the first and second titles in the series committed nearly every cliched cardinal sin in the industry. Poor stealth mechanics, quick time event level combat mechanics and lets not forget the enemy soldiers with infinite ammo until you kill them and mysteriously there isn't a single round to be policed from their corpses? Simply go back and play any of the splinter cell games from over a decade ago and it highlights the deficiencies with the gameplay of large swaths of both TLOU titles.

Naughty dog struck a nearly perfect balance of gameplay and story telling with Uncharted, The last of us simply pushed the weaker part of their studios competencies past the breaking point and it shows. Simply moving these titles a smidge toward the structure of Quantic dreams titles would have yielded a much more engaging experience.

Last of us part 2 is a good game, it just didn't live up to the immense hype part 1 created. Players expected more from it.

No No, thats was not the problem, the story telling was very bad, not a little bit but extremely bad, nd this is a story driven game we talking about nd the core of the game. So yeah if you screw that up, you actually ruined the entire game mostly, nd thats just missed opportunity.

I don't see what everyone is complaining about. Looks interesting to me. It's another case of entitled whiners throwing tantrums again. What a shocker..

No No, thats was not the problem, the story telling was very bad, not a little bit but extremely bad, nd this is a story driven game we talking about nd the core of the game. So yeah if you screw that up, you actually ruined the entire game mostly, nd thats just missed opportunity.
you clearly didn't play the game and are talking about it just from what you've read on reddit and twitter.

No, he is right. Last of Us was rubbish. Just a Zombie Soap Opera in video game form written for the mentality of teenagers... It was tired tripe..
ok, now I know you are trolling since you are dissing even the first game :)

it's one thing to personally not like a game, it's another to consider your opinion above the opinion of so many others that enjoyed the games a lot.

objectively, both games are really good.

ok, now I know you are trolling since you are dissing even the first game :)

it's one thing to personally not like a game, it's another to consider your opinion above the opinion of so many others that enjoyed the games a lot.

objectively, both games are really good.
And lots of people enjoy soap opera's and drivel like them. Just because someone offers a perspective that does not meet with the same opinion as the "crowd" does not make them wrong. The numbers of opinions of the "crowd" does not make them right either. Context is important.

And lots of people enjoy soap opera's and drivel like them. Just because someone offers a perspective that does not meet with the same opinion as the "crowd" does not make them wrong. The numbers of opinions of the "crowd" does not make them right either. Context is important.
The context is that this franchise received critical acclaim and also became loved by the crowed. Not only did you not play the game, but you also don't watch soap operas, yet you still try to give your opinion as if it is a fact :)

It's simple, that's the context surrounding your opinion.

The context is that this franchise received critical acclaim and also became loved by the crowed. Not only did you not play the game, but you also don't watch soap operas, yet you still try to give your opinion as if it is a fact :)

It's simple, that's the context surrounding your opinion.
Just because the "crowd" likes it, doesn't make it good. Examples you say? Any of the Resident Evil games, many of the Battlefield and CoD titles, "The Bachelor", "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and that list just goes on. Popular does NOT equal good.

Just because the "crowd" likes it, doesn't make it good. Examples you say? Any of the Resident Evil games, many of the Battlefield and CoD titles, "The Bachelor", "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and that list just goes on. Popular does NOT equal good.
That's where you are wrong. Crowds do hate those games, as you've seen with the latests instalments of COD and especially BF and it heavily affects sales.

This is not about popularity, but is about a consensus of the entire gaming industry gamers. The Last of Us games are considered to be good and that's the reality.

That's where you are wrong. Crowds do hate those games, as you've seen with the latests instalments of COD and especially BF and it heavily affects sales.

This is not about popularity, but is about a consensus of the entire gaming industry gamers. The Last of Us games are considered to be good and that's the reality.
Again, just because it's popular does NOT make it objectively good. Opinions do not reality make.

Again, just because it's popular does NOT make it objectively good. Opinions do not reality make.
And your opinion does?

Objectively the games are good. They're feature rich with few bugs, graphically beautiful and with above average writing.

By your own definition, bananas are bad because they're popular. The banana haters just know better because of their more "refined tastes". Bananas are actually really foul fruits and are bad for you.

And your opinion does?

Objectively the games are good. They're feature rich with few bugs, graphically beautiful and with above average writing.

By your own definition, bananas are bad because they're popular. The banana haters just know better because of their more "refined tastes". Bananas are actually really foul fruits and are bad for you.
What you say would seem like wisdom, except that we're not talking about a nutritious food. We're talking about a game filled with tired cliche tropes and tripe. It might be visually "pretty", but lots of games can fit that same description. What it is not is original, creative or inspired. It is a game specifically designed to tap into the heart-strings and the wallets of those with narrow thinking and small minds.

What you say would seem like wisdom, except that we're not talking about a nutritious food. We're talking about a game filled with tired cliche tropes and tripe. It might be visually "pretty", but lots of games can fit that same description. What it is not is original, creative or inspired. It is a game specifically designed to tap into the heart-strings and the wallets of those with narrow thinking and small minds.
Again, you are confusing what is subjective with what is objective. There is a reason why the games got so many awards and why so many people like them.

Objectively the games are good from both a technical standpoint and from a statistics standpoint. Besides not liking the story, there is little reason to think of these games as anything but above average.

I know people, just like you, who didn't like Half Life 1 or 2 with exactly the same tired excuses: "but this thing the game did was bad so the entire game was bad". Does that make them bad games? Definitely not.

I seriously don't get this incredible hatred of yours for The Last of Us. I bet you loved Fallout 76 :)

Back