The iPhone 6 was supposed to have a sapphire screen; here are several reasons why it doesn't

Shawn Knight

Staff member

iphone apple iphone 6 sapphire iphone 6 plus gt advanced technologies sapphire screen

Both Apple and its sapphire supplier, GT Advanced Technologies, knew well in advance of the September 9 reveal of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus that neither handset would include the coveted glass but that’s not the way it was supposed to go down.

Time and time again, rumors surfaced suggesting Apple’s next iPhone would have a sapphire-coated display. And in this case, the rumor mill got it right – the current generation iPhone should have had sapphire. But it didn’t, and now we have a better understanding of what went wrong (or rather, how often things went wrong).

A new Wall Street Journal piece on the subject notes how the deal between Apple and GT Advanced was doomed from the get-go. Just days before the two signed their contract, GT’s first cylinder of sapphire was produced. It was flawed and unusable but Apple signed the deal anyway.

iphone apple iphone 6 sapphire iphone 6 plus gt advanced technologies sapphire screen

GT reportedly hired 700 staffers to fill its new Arizona manufacturing plant where they’d set about to produce 30 times more sapphire than any other factory in the world. The hiring process happened so quickly and without oversight that many people didn’t even know who their boss was and without an attendance policy, sick days were noticeably higher than normal.

Because GT hadn’t built enough furnaces to produce the 578-pound cylinders of sapphire known as boules, many employees didn’t actually have anything to do while at work. One former employee said they just kept sweeping the floors over and over to stay busy as they watched “money flying out the door.”

Each boule cost roughly $20,000 to make and took around 30 days. Half of the boules GT produced were unusable according to people familiar with the matter. There was even a “boule graveyard” – a section of the factory where unusable sapphire cylinders were stored.

Usable sapphire was cut down into 14-inch thick bricks in the shape of Apple’s new phones. At one point, 500 of these bricks came up missing. A few hours later, workers realized that the good bricks had been sent off for recycling instead of shipping. Fortunately, GT was able to recover them before they were disposed of.

Not all of the blame can be put on GT, however. Apple was reportedly responsible for building the facility and supplying power. GT chief operating officer Daniel Squiller said they lost three months of production due to delays in building the plant and power outages. What's more, the company previously said the deal they signed with Apple was "oppressive and burdensome."

All said and done, Apple only received 10 percent of the sapphire agreed upon in the contract.

Permalink to story.

There wasn't enough foreplanning by either company, both were blinded and sidetracked by dollar signs and both are equally to blame...
What blasphemy is this saying Apple is at fault? It's all GT's fault.

So that's why their stock is like $.50 a share.

Weird that Apple would put such an important part of the iPhone 6 in the hands of a company that clearly wasn't ready if they didn't even have the employees or the plant. I suppose that's why Apple forced them into such a harsh contract.

On the other hand, maybe this is the sort of crazy high level of achievement and risk that's required for cutting edge tech in this industry. Maybe the risk and crazy contract is the norm.

Wow, I wonder how many blind religious Apple followers purchased the iPhone 6 without even knowing about this? Oh well, now Apple has at least 1 reason to continue milking the masses for the release of iPhone 7. "Get the iPhone 7...now with it's beautiful Sapphire screens. A steal at $1,000.00 a piece!!!"

Apple has it made. No Sapphire screens and they can still get groupies to pay almost a $1,000.00 for a cellphone. :) Life is good, well....*cough, cough*...for Apple anyway.

Edit: I wonder if anybody bought this phone just assuming it would come with the Sapphire screens but doesn't yet realize they didn't get it. Since the phone has already been released and this story is just now surfacing, it could be possible. Can someone say class action lawsuit? :) Okay, it's a stretch but anything in this world is possible.

Coming from someone who works in crystal growth. I would've liked to believe that a company as big as Apple would have done some more research into this before signing such a massive contract. Sapphire is one of the hardest crystals to grow (correctly, and flawlessly). To go and hire 700 people and expect it to magically appear and be okay is just ignorant.

Edit: I wonder if anybody bought this phone just assuming it would come with the Sapphire screens but doesn't yet realize they didn't get it. Since the phone has already been released and this story is just now surfacing, it could be possible. Can someone say class action lawsuit? :) Okay, it's a stretch but anything in this world is possible.
No, I don't think anyone purchased it under the assumption it was going to have a sapphire screen. It was heavily speculated that that was going to happen, but it was never announced by Apple, and when Apple announced the 6 they said it was ion-infused glass, which is saying Gorilla Glass without saying Gorilla Glass. If they were shipping with sapphire screens it would have been announced at every opportunity.

Also this story isn't just surfacing, its been in the news since the 6 announcement that sapphire glass wasn't going to be used, and then much more in the news after GTAT's chapter 11 filing.
So that's why their stock is like $.50 a share.
I bought it after their Chap 11 filing at $1.24 a share, luckily I didn't dump much money into it. Hopefully their 11 doesn't go to a 7. My little investment can afford to be a complete loss, but I'm playing the long game. Hopefully in the next few years GTAT can produce a good product (not sapphire) for someone and get the price back up into the several dollar range.

I think this needs to be asked......

Would this kind of problem happen if Steve Jobs was still alive? I think not.

Gees, even Newton realised that an apple must fall from the tree eventually. But he was 10000x smarter than the average iPhone user...

This question needs to be asked: How can the worlds richest company's success depend upon the continued existence of one man?

Conclusion: No one lese at Apple has any idea what they are doing. Obviously 99% of employees are sheep, hypnotised just like the device buyers.

Back