The limitations With XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

Hi dudes,

A was wondering if anybody reding this post knew what the limitations are (eg-installing new motherboard or cpu) relating with to what hardware you can install before XP wants to be reactiveded or reinstalled? Can you relpace most major pc hardware without xp needing to be reaactivated?

I would really like to know this because I want to upgrade my old biostar motherboard, and replace it with my friends Asrock k7 motherboard and I would also prefer to install my oldish Athlon 1.0GHZ processor as well. (this pc is only used for internet browsing so does not need to be fast anyway)

Thanks for reading,

Any posts appriciated!

Don't worry about it Robin997,

it can be as little as changing a CDROM that causes an XP reactivation. Just start the activation process and call Microsoft's automated activation line and listen to the female robotic voice. Provide the series of numbers and say that you replaced some major hardware... Don't be afraid. It's an easier process now

It goes by a points system. Each catagory of hardware has a different point value so say for example (hypothetical) you change a dvd drive (20 points). Out of 100 you have 80 left. Motherboards maybe 40 points or something..

and the points get reset after a long time of no change, so one major change per year should be fine.

Thats just me paraphrasing. There maybe a better article on MS's website or around that explains it better and clearer. And like tmajic said, reactivation process is quite simple now.

With a mobo change, read up on what you'd expect may happen and how to resolve it. Plenty of threads here gives you some reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back