The Nvidia RTX 4090 might be the only Lovelace card launched this year

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Following the recent rumor that Nvidia's upcoming RTX 4000 (Ada Lovelace) graphics cards won't arrive until November or even December, a new claim from a leaker makes that prediction sound positively optimistic. They believe the only next-gen team green card to launch this year will be the RTX 4090, while the RTX 4050, 4060, 4070, and 4080 won't get here until 2023.

Regular leaker Greymon55 recently tweeted that the next generation of product announcements/launches will be concentrated around September. They believe AMD's Radeon 7000 GPUs (Raphael) will be announced next month and launch in September, while Intel's 13th-gen Raptor Lake CPUs will be announced in September and launch in October.

As for Nvidia, Greymon55 predicts it will announce the AD102 GPU in September and launch the following month. That GPU is the line's flagship set to appear in the RTX 4090 and what's expected to be an RTX 4090 Ti. As for the rest of Lovelace, it might not get here until 2023.

While that sounds unlikely, there is evidence to support the claim. After years of high prices and low availability, graphics cards are below MSRP and in abundant supply—Nvidia is reportedly killing off the RTX 3080 12GB model to shift the overstocked 10GB version, which is now the same price as its slightly better-specced variant.

We've also seen reports claiming Nvidia wants to delay its 5nm orders with TSMC for the RTX 4000 series, the result of cooling demand for expensive, luxury consumer goods as the cost of living and inflation rises. Moreover, there's a flood of cheap ex-mining cards hitting eBay appealing to cost-conscious gamers.

The oversupply and lower prices of current cards have led to rumors that Nvidia is delaying the launch of the RTX 4000 series until December. And while Greymon55 thinks the series will arrive in October, it's "very likely" that only the RTX 4090 will land this year, which could be good news for AMD.

As always, it's important to take these rumors with a heavy dose of salt. But it does appear that the state of the current market and economy are impacting Nvidia's plans to at least some degree.

Permalink to story.

Wouldn't surprise me, most influencers and Tech Site put far too much emphasis on the "most powerful" and that's the kind of news Nvidia need. If they get a story showing Nvidia King of Gaming lots of people will buy other GPUs just on there name alone ignoring the fact there are better ones out there in different price brackets

I can’t see it, personally, unless the yields for the AD102 have been unexpectedly poor. The RTX 4090 and it’s professional twin (whatever that’s going to called) will be using a fairly small percentage of die yield. Nvidia would want to shift the bulk of the dies in the form of the 4080 (and its pro cousins, too).

Nvidia has been under pressure from AIB's to delay as they have tonnes of 3000 series cards left over.
This. I'm not surprised if they had kept a lot of stock to amplify scarcity. Plus they had many orders from miners, which are now gone.

Ah Nvidia is trying to create scarcity to push up prices. Either way this is a win for nvidia and the AIBs but a loss for consumers.

I can’t see it, personally, unless the yields for the AD102 have been unexpectedly poor.
I don't see them releasing the 3090 more than a month before other cards in the lineup. However, if they're delaying the launch till December, it's possible.

I can’t see it, personally, unless the yields for the AD102 have been unexpectedly poor. The RTX 4090 and it’s professional twin (whatever that’s going to called) will be using a fairly small percentage of die yield. Nvidia would want to shift the bulk of the dies in the form of the 4080 (and its pro cousins, too).

Is the 3080 going to be using 102 dies ? I thought they‘d be using 103 instead.

Nvidia has been under pressure from AIB's to delay as they have tonnes of 3000 series cards left over.
Yeah, it's not that simple. nVidia reportedly paid something like $10 billion to buy a huge chunk of TSMC's 5nm capacity. Then they asked TSMC to delay part of that order due to waning demand, but TSMC had reportedly refused. So what's nVidia going to do? Sit on a huge stockpile of next gen chips to please AIBs and give AMD a great opportunity? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Funny how these things work. First you can't buy a video card because crapto-tards pushed prices too high and bought up all the cards available. Then the whole crapto-Ponzi nonsense starts to collapse and people are hopeful things will return to normal. But oh no, nVidia must protect their profits so now they plan to artificially create a new price/demand crisis until they can clear out old inventory.

My advice to everyone: do not buy any 30-series nVidia cards no matter what. Let it all rot in their warehouses until they have to give them away practically for free. nVidia thinks they can force desperate games to buy up old inventory by delaying next gen cards. We've been waiting for years for this nonsense to end, but no, they think we'll just bend over and take it.

Get ready for more benchmarks from Techspot with zero explanation of the scene, settings and the frame times. I might as well start my own website and make up my own benchmark numbers that seem slightly believable to not throw off the general viewer base.

Is the 3080 going to be using 102 dies ? I thought they‘d be using 103 instead.
Almost certainly, as the XX80 and XX90 models have always used chips from the same wafers. There’s a chance that the AD102 is exclusive to the 4090 and the pro Quadro/A-series range, but given that the latter is a relatively small market, there will be plenty of dies lying around that can’t be used in a 4090.

It makes sense pricing wise to go for 4090 only initially.
Those willing to spend the most buy first. Folks that would normally go for a 4080 or even a 4070, overspend for a 4090, to skip the wait.
At the same time AIBs can build up a decent stockpile for 4080s, so that it won't be a paper launch

Back