The Sims 2 and Radeon 9550

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Like many of you I have trouble with playing Sims 2 (same with Tomb Raider Legend and I think with all 3D games). Somewhere in the middle of intro video game stops with blank screen and PC doesn't respond. Sometimes(!) a few seconds after that monitor (LG Flatron L1730P) goes to standby with message '21,1kHZ/53 Hz Out of range'. Strange thing is that with 'freshly' installed graphics driver the game runs fine (so does TRL), but after second restart or shutdown (I can't leave PC powered all night) it stops with blank screen. It seems the system 'forgets' the driver although Device Manager reports OK. I'm sure I have the latest graphics driver correctly installed (as suggested by ATI) and DirectX 9.0c. I'm also sure there is no overheating or PSU (400W) problem, otherwise the PC wouldn't let play The Sims 2 at all. So I think there is some Windows problem? Has anybody had the same occurrence? Or maybe fix to this? I'm trying to find solution about a year (when I bought PC and Sims 2). I tested my PC on System Requirements Lab's website and it had more than enough power. I tried different drivers including Omega's. I tried ATI drivers with and without Control Center.

System (DirecX readings):
Manufacturer:VIAK8T
Model:AWRDACPI
Processor:AMD Sempron 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1,6GHz
Memory:510MB RAM
DirectX Version:DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Display:
Name:Radeon 9550
Approx. Total Memory:256,0MB

DirectX Features all Enabled, all tests were successful.

Probably the game is trying to start running at 53hz refresh rate, and the monitor only supports 60hz+. If you have an older CRT monitor you can hook up, try it and see if games work with that.

Well, I'll try to find some. But why after driver fresh reinstalling my monitor is good enough for the game and after few restarts it doesn't? What and where and why is changing?

A few days ago I was lucky to quit game with Alt+Tab and Task Manager. The resolution was reduced to 1024x768 (norm. 1280x1024) and DirectX readings were different:
Device:
Approx. Total Memory: n/a (norm. 256,0MB)
DirectX Features:
--all disabled-- (norm. all enabled)
Drivers:
DDI Version:unknown (norm. 9 (or higher))

It seems that DirectX and graphics driver don't speak the same language, but DirctX has more power and as revenge forgets some tiny details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back