The Tulsa Jetsons house sells two weeks after hitting the market

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? While we're still waiting for many of the futuristic inventions seen in The Jetsons, including flying cars that aren't just roadworthy small planes, it seems the weird, circular home on stilts the family lived in is a modern-day reality, kind of, and it's just sold for $415,000.

Located on the edge of downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma, the two-bedroom, three-bathroom house only hit the market about two weeks ago, and it has now sold for its asking price. The new owner said they plan to rent it out on Airbnb, so you could live out your Jetsons fantasy at some point in the future.

Other features of the house include an elevator that takes you up a 44-foot tube to the 1,386-square-foot living area, a three-car garage, and a utility area. There's also the 360-degree view of the Tulsa skyline, but no Rosey the Robot, sadly. As you can see in the TikTok video below, the place is a bit of a fixer-upper and was sold as is, but the seller describes it as an investment opportunity.

@nancydavis19 A once in a lifetime find in Tulsa Oklahoma! #realtor #tulsarealtor #tulsa #space #ufo #thejetsons #exp #exprealty #halloranhometeam ♬ Futuristic cool transformer(247721) - Kangaroo Music

Tulsa World reports that the house was completed in 2005 by local resident Joe Damer—a German national who relocated to Tulsa with his family under the Displaced Persons Act following World War II—with the help of Tulsa architect Jeremy Perkins. Damer lived in the house from its completion until 2012 when he sold it to a friend, the current seller.

Damer, who died in 2019 at the age of 78, had the idea to build the property several decades before construction began in 2003. The inspiration came from a postcard he had kept since 1965 showing a similar home in Arizona.

The Guardian notes that the architecture in both The Jetsons and the postcard is in the Googie style—named after a now-demolished coffee shop in West Hollywood—which emerged in the mid-20th century space age in southern California.

Image credits: Ray Fetty/Courtesy Angela Barnett

Permalink to story.

That is the most useless amount of wasted space that I as an Architect has seen. Ever. No, it's not Jeremy's fault because he did what he was hired to do. In fact, a little trivia, he didn't even want his name on the official plan documents but changed his mind when the house became a tourist attraction even before it was finished.

Three-car garage? Where??

Below the building. In the story above, check out The Guardian linked story about it. The last picture in the story shows a different angle of the house and you can see a driveway that goes around to the right of the building and looks like the spot where the garage would end up being.

While the building is a novelty, you wouldn't catch me wanting to live there unless I was single or it was just me and the wife. The place isn't big enough for most families and it doesn't really look convenient for dog owners - having to go up and down the elevator or all the stairs constantly to let your dog out. No thanks. That place is smaller than the townhouse I used to live in and it sold for $100K+ more than my townhouse did....that's just stupid.

After looking at the Guardian article, other than the fact that the home is circular, sits on a cylinder, and only has some 1300 sq. ft. of living space, I really don't get how this house warrants the moniker "Jetson's house". To me, the pictures from the cartoon of the "Jetson's House" suggest that the "Jetson's House" is actually a futuristic apartment complex. Then again, I am not an architect.

I am sure, however, that marketing it as a "Jetson's House" will garner lots of attention from the unsuspecting and gullible.

I'll admit I rather like it. It just needs a Roomba cleaner and Alexa linked to a futuristic stereo and you're half way there. First off though, I'd want to get rid of that concrete car park and maybe just have a gravel drive, some architectural bushes and then koi carp in a large pond surrounding the building.

Horrendous - the photo should of at least shown the patio open .
Might as well be in a 3 storey highrise

Beautiful nature nearby and their you sit like bubble boy - protected from nasty virii ,

All that ugly concrete underneath - no garden, trees, water features etc

Is this a wantabe air traffic controller ?

Would much rather live in a simple forest , jungle dwelling - love the ones in my travels - where the shower was open to the jungle - hummingbirds, butterflies , sound of life .

Only plus great views - can follow the sun - but much prefer the classic 360 2nd storey verandahs .

Plus reminds me of those horrible award winning buildings of 20 plus years ago - with huge windows - that look like inside you are at the airport or in a hotel, conference facility - decorated with the less homely , comfortable furniture they can find

Anyway their money , their choice

Good thing there are only a few earthquakes, specially the strong ones, in Oklahoma... Otherwise, this cantilevered mushroom would not exist...!

Below the building. In the story above, check out The Guardian linked story about it. The last picture in the story shows a different angle of the house and you can see a driveway that goes around to the right of the building and looks like the spot where the garage would end up being.

While the building is a novelty, you wouldn't catch me wanting to live there unless I was single or it was just me and the wife. The place isn't big enough for most families and it doesn't really look convenient for dog owners - having to go up and down the elevator or all the stairs constantly to let your dog out. No thanks. That place is smaller than the townhouse I used to live in and it sold for $100K+ more than my townhouse did....that's just stupid.
I agree with you. I know of a lot of people around my age of 75 and older, who have moved into apartments selling off their ground + 1st floor homes. They get tired having to negotiate the stairs several times a day. With population density in India being 10 times that of the US, land is at a premium. No one builds single level ranch houses.

Back