The Windows 10 free upgrade offer has ended, along with annoying nags

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has ended its free upgrade offer for Windows 10 today as expected, approximately one year after the launch of the operating system.

There's good news for users on Windows 7 and Windows 8 who didn't want to upgrade: Microsoft's persistent and annoying nags about upgrading have ceased. The prompts, and in some cases automatic upgrades to Windows 10, have been the subject of controversy, with some suggesting Microsoft has been too aggressive in its attempts to get people to upgrade.

There's also bad news. For those that did want to upgrade but didn't get around to it, you'll now have to pay for a Windows 10 license. Microsoft is currently selling Windows 10 Home licenses for $120, while Windows 10 Pro is available for $200. OEM licenses are a little cheaper: $100 for Home, and $140 for Pro through Newegg.

The free upgrade offer has ended just a few days before Microsoft will release the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to the public. On August 2nd, this major update to Windows 10 will launch, bringing a collection of new features to the operating system.

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update includes significant updates to Cortana, the ability to view notifications from your phone, improvements to UWP apps for gamers, browser extensions in Edge, and the introduction of the Linux bash shell for developers.

Permalink to story.

It actually hasn't ended yet. Still have till today midnight I still got the notification this morning showing the hours left.

WHAT!!!!
Did I miss out on a free Windows 10? Surely they should have made it easier to upgrade, and why did Microsoft pull it so quickly, hardly enough time to get the upgrade done. ;-)

WHAT!!!!
Did I miss out on a free Windows 10? Surely they should have made it easier to upgrade, and why did Microsoft pull it so quickly, hardly enough time to get the upgrade done. ;-)
I think this story is a bit premature if you live in the US, I fell for the marketing and upgraded last night but the free upgrade timer said that I still had 24+ hours to do so.

Yes. For the 365th time, I am sure I do not want to upgrade to Windows 10.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx DWORD value: DisableGwx = 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

These have been two of my best friends for the past 12 months.

I can't believe the delete my post for just saying ( I love my windows 7 ) this site is a totally joke

Moderator note: Your post was deleted for shouting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe the delete my post for just saying ( I love my windows 7 ) this site is a totally joke

Moderator note: Your post was deleted for shouting.
For speak with a very Loud voice Really? let me see ( I love my windows 7) is that shouting? No Wonder I don't see people making comment .

it was likely automatic, as morons texting a paragraph or more, all CAPS, is universally irritating.
-most- sites have that option box checked.
aka you don't get / haven't been around much lately? I.e., it's only news to you, and not worth getting one's panties in a bunch - it's not like they made fun of you for not knowing, and yes, it is common knowledge enuf that they could have..

Being the mischievous grumpy old fart that I am, I was sore tempted to bring this forward in all caps. But as they say, "discretion is the better part of valor":

No SHOUTING allowed!!!
That is, posting IN ALL CAPS or with excessive exclamation marks (!!!). It's rude and annoying, and if you do it, your post will be removed.

Staff please note: If you see one of my posts in all caps, it's simply by virtue of my clumsiness, I often hit the "caps lock" key, along with the "A". :D My bad.

(I'm kidding of course, but I do hate having to retype as much as a paragraph after finally noticing the, "look ma, one finger, two keys", blunder...)

Being the mischievous grumpy old fart that I am, I was sore tempted to bring this forward in all caps. But as they say, "discretion is the better part of valor":

No SHOUTING allowed!!!
That is, posting IN ALL CAPS or with excessive exclamation marks (!!!). It's rude and annoying, and if you do it, your post will be removed.

Staff please note: If you see one of my posts in all caps, it's simply by virtue of my clumsiness, I often hit the "caps lock" key, along with the "A". :D My bad.

(I'm kidding of course, but I do hate having to retype as much as a paragraph after finally noticing the, "look ma, one finger, two keys", blunder...)

Do you see ( Hasbean ) comment he say ( WHAT!!!! ) why you guys have't delete hes post for " shouting "? don't you just say that ( posting IN ALL CAPS or with excessive exclamation marks (!!!). It's rude and annoying, and if you do it, your post will be removed.? ... why he post still there? I mush want answer.

Do you see ( Hasbean ) comment he say ( WHAT!!!! ) why you guys have't delete hes post for " shouting "? don't you just say that ( posting IN ALL CAPS or with excessive exclamation marks (!!!). It's rude and annoying, and if you do it, your post will be removed.? ... why he post still there? I mush want answer.
Look, I just got here, but I bery "mush", want give you explanashun

Four capital letters and 3 exclamation points, does not an entire post make.

If you would have held your post to those limits it would still be there. Capishe? Comprenez vous?, ?Comprende usted?,
Verstehst du? Вы понимаете?

And now just waiting for the other shoe to drop ..... some costly "subscription" requirement that will cost you $100+ per year .... or get cut off! Don't bet against it, Microsoft has tried it before .....

Only Enterprise has that happening. If they did it to the average consumer, they know most people would drop WIndows all together and move to Linux. A lot of software developers would also move over to where the markey share is.

I don't care , they better make it free all the time because I am not buying it, I got screwed over enough since windows 3.1, they just better settle for making money from hardware, windows and office they can stick both, Linux and libre office, both are really getting good, for what I do I can go with ether one easly

I windows and office they can stick both, Linux and libre office, both are really getting good, for what I do I can go with ether one easily.
Here's a quick, "once upon a time story",

M$ used to have a, "home version of Office", called, "M$ Works". It also did everything a person in the home needed to do. It was normally a bundled product, appearing at a desktop near you. So, basically, it was free. You could buy it separately however, for about 20 or 30 bucks.

It apparently was too good, since M$ discontinued it, and we now get the entire office suite jammed down our throats, like it, need it, want it or not...:mad:

Just in case anyone might think this is a fable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Works

Back