Think I've blown it

just plugged a C13 power lead Extension into the back of the tower and there was a blue flash . now the tower wont boot up but the second tower on the extension C13 cable is working fine . neither PC's were booted up at the time of the incident by the way any ideas where I should look for the problem or have I actually done something bad ? the second tower is being fed power through the C13 extension socket of the tower that wont boot

You probably took out the AC line fuse of the power supply, meaning that you will need to install a new power supply because the fuses are not replaceable in most cases

If you have the second machine and it can be offline you could try it's PSU (if it's of sufficient output) in the other machine to verify that the issue is that the PSU needs replaced. Helpful to do so before ordering a part and ending up with a spare you didn't need ;)

thank you that is a good idea I will gut the other psu and try swapping it over . Interestingly I have now been informed that piggybacking with a c13 extention is no longer considered the thing to do unless its to start a house fire ......which its not !. new PC's no longer have an extention socket and its not possible to buy a new psu with one integral in the uk. apparently the way to go is a split extention .... how quickly things move on and leave the rest of us behind

You should never use an extension cord for a computer. It should be directly plugged into a wall socket or into a Un-interruptible power supply (UPS)... I know you in the UK use 230 volt 50Hz power. Here in the US we use 120 volts 60Hz

Back