Thinking Of Replacing My Dell Dimension 2400 Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wan't to upgrade my computers motherboards so i can play the latest games etc with a PCI-E graphics card, as my computer only has PCI slots and it sucks to be honest.

I found a thread on this forum about a guy upgrading his Dell Dimension 2400 motherboard, it seems he brought the Asrock P4VM890 motherboard and he was successful with it.

I managed to find the exact motherboard on eBay, the motherboards comes with a Pentium 4 @ 2.8 Ghz and 2 GB RAM.

Do you think i should purchase it? Would it work with my computer?

I hope you can help me. :)

A Waste of time, really. The FrontSideBus is not fast enough. You would also need to install a new power supply and CPU to get it right.
Why not just buy a better used machine and upgrade it with more memory, better optical drives, video card, and gamer mouse?

Not to mention that Asrock boards are Asus-made products that Asus is too embarassed to put their name on. They're not a good product at all, in the same boat as ECS, etc. Best too just avoid them and buy a newer machine that will do what you want.

Not to mention that Asrock boards are Asus-made products that Asus is too embarassed to put their name on. They're not a good product at all, in the same boat as ECS, etc. Best too just avoid them and buy a newer machine that will do what you want.

They're not as bad as ECS. I've had a few alright ones...

ECS is far worse. They should be called EliteCrapSystems IMO. ASRock still has decent boards, and some of them allow for PCI-E, AGP, DDR, DDR2 and Core 2 Duo support on the same board. Very innovative IMO.

AsRock are OK boards for budget home systems. They simply cannot take much hard driving abuse, excess heat, or creative changes. You cannot expect them to last 7 years. They are like a Compaq laptop board... just good for a while.
As a replacement to repair a dead eMachines motherboard, they are fine. Cheap. They fit. They will accept most of the eMachines components for a quick "reasonably priced" fix.
Still the same argument remains. Why not the best for just a little more.
Too often the ASRock gets used in a competition between computer repair shops... where saving the customer just a few bucks gets the job. But a later failure will drive away that same business later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back