This 11,840-square-foot mansion was 3D printed

Shawn Knight

Staff member

printed homes apparently 3d printer apartment 3d printed buildings 3d printed house mansion

3D printing has evolved from basic trinkets and decorations to full-on automobiles and apparently now, mansions.

A Chinese construction company by the name of WinSun Decoration Design Engineering Co. recently completed work on a 11,840-square-foot dwelling as well as what appears to be a five story apartment tower, both of which were 3D printed from scratch.

printed homes apparently 3d printer apartment 3d printed buildings 3d printed house mansion

It’s unclear exactly what percentage of the buildings was 3D printed. We do know that the wall structures were 3D printed using concrete to build layers. These layers were then put together on-site to complete the structure. Items such as windows, hand rails and so on look to have been built using traditional methods.

Neither facility has any occupants; instead, they were built as a proof of concept by WinSun. It’s unclear at this time if the company plans to build similar structures for clients and if so, how much they’d sell for.

WinSun is the same company that churned out 10 tiny 3D printed houses in just 24 hours a little less than a year ago. Each home was built for just $5,000, a fraction of what even a starter home would set you back today.

If 3D printed homes take off, the construction industry could be in serious trouble. Manual labor workers would likely still be needed to physically put the pieces together but many jobs could become extinct.

Permalink to story.

I imagine the smell inside such building must resemble that in an old plastic factory, toxic and with serious health implications.

I imagine the smell inside such building must resemble that in an old plastic factory, toxic and with serious health implications.

????? - Not sure why you say that. Quote from the article:

We do know that the wall structures were 3D printed using concrete to build layers.

I have doubts about the structural integrity of such a structure, especially under snow load and in light of other compromising stresses. Fire resistance, off gassing, etc. would require some significant testing before passing. We've seen other promising items in the past. formaldehyde was supposed to be a miracle substance, just like asbestos in construction ... but in the long run they simply didn't make the cut.

Guy's, I think some of you are assuming it's made of plastic.
The article says the bricks are printed concrete.
Hospitals are printing organs - they are feeding in Organic material.
You can print metal too.
The possibilities are endless..

If these are like polystyrene blocks filled with concrete and rebar, they would be extremely strong and very good insulation. I'd like to see more information. And in the states...

What a revolution! Now we can finally be rid of lazy building site workers, inept tradesmen, overpaid supervisors who produce shoddy housing and fault-ridden houses etc

Not to mention break the backs of corrupt Unions who act like overlords in the construction sector.

(My comments are based on personal experience with the Australian construction industry, where it is common for union construction managers to demand such underhanded payments as a trailer full of Chivas Regal to allow access to the site by private concrete companies, such as happened during the construction of the desalination plant in Melbourne. And that was the mildest of cases I assure you.)

So... behind the article's and manufacturer's logic, aren't all houses "3D printed"?

Why you ask??

Workers lay fundations, then start putting blocks of cement or wood or whatever new fancy tech they have to build houses (I'm not sure how to call them in english, but nowadays they build with an aluminum frame and put light material panels and it's done, fire/water/earthquake resistant, with enough strength to support snow and other things, extremely light and very good at isolating both sound and weather) and they build a house.

Most buildings are just blocks of concrete built by a company and then put together. 3D printing in it's earliest form :p

So... behind the article's and manufacturer's logic, aren't all houses "3D printed"?
By a black and white definition yes, but the process in which the individual pieces are constructed is inherently different, if the third picture is any indication that the same method used to make smaller items was used for the extrusion of the concrete.

The ignorance demonstrated by your comment shows you didn't even read the article.. and yet you choose to flap your trap negatively about it...

Back