This brewery uses artificial intelligence to improve subsequent batches of beer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

London’s IntelligentX Brewing Company has crafted the world’s first beer brewed by artificial intelligence.

Consisting of machine learning company Intelligent Layer and creative agency 10x, IntelligentX has developed an algorithm that takes feedback from consumers and uses it to influence its next batch of beer.

After trying one of its four bottled conditioned beers, drinkers are invited to interact with its AI, a Facebook Messenger bot called ABI (Automatic Brewing Intelligence). The AI asks users a series of questions that take the form of multiple choice, yes / no and 1-10 rating responses.

The responses are used to find trends that could be used to help improve subsequent batches.

Using a combination of reinforcement learning and bayesian optimization, IntelligentX says its algorithm learns from experience by being rewarded when it does something good. The company’s ultimate objective is to keep learning, provide its customers with ever-improving beer and perhaps win a major beer competition.

Co-founder Hew Leith said they’re using AI to give their brewer superhuman skills, enabling them to test and receive feedback on their beer more quickly than ever before. Fellow co-owner Dr. Rob McInerney said their four beers – Amber, Golden, Black and Pale – have changed nearly a dozen times over a 12 month period.

Of course, if you’d rather be in charge of the entire brewing process from start to finish, perhaps something like BrewArt would be more to your liking. Or, you could just order a case of Fallout Beer and call it a day.

Permalink to story.

AI or just a program that can analyze comments and suggest recipe changes based on keywords?

AI or just a program that can analyze comments and suggest recipe changes based on keywords?

I hope it's not that simple. Sure you can glean some information for the average person but I'd trust an experienced brewmeister over random comments anyday.

When I go to pick up a bottle of beer, I pull it from a shelf that holds about 50 different kinds (I live in Ireland), and that's in a regular supermarket, can be many more in a specialized shop.

To suggest one kind of beer can satisfy the majority of customers is to know little about the market, which exists and prospers on efforts of great many small manufacturers.

Small-scale beer production is very popular here, and at least in Australia too, as I hear it.

Back