This parody camera advertisement illustrates how silly today's tech will look in the future

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Today’s technology certainly seems impressive by current standards, but how will it look several years down the road? As the parody for the Walley POS-86 demonstrates in the clip below, the answer is relatively simple.

The thing I like most about the clip is not the parody nature itself (although it certainly nails today’s most popular marketing techniques) but the actual hardware used to build the fictitious machine. A close examination of the POS-86 (even the name has a hidden meaning) reveals the odd and randomly placed case fan, floppy drive, heatsink and so on – all jammed in a computer case.

Need further proof of how silly outdated technology looks today? Just check out this hilarious video of kids reacting to cassette players.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

"POS"-86, is it intended to mean what I think it means or do I have just a rude imagination? ^^

"POS"-86, is it intended to mean what I think it means or do I have just a rude imagination? ^^

Pretty sure it's what you think it means... on purpose.

Also, yes it will be fun to look back at commercials from this decade in 30 or 40 years and see things like "Super-OMLED Screens" because the future might be something like touching thin-air with a special glove on or visors we all wear to enhance reality (like seeing different light wavelengths or have a HUD all the time) or maybe holograms of the person you are talking to in-real time (think star wars).

And that's besides the obvious leaps in computing power/memory soon to be seen with quantum computing or atomic processors.

The tone of voice, vocabulary, and background soundtrack totally made it sound like an Apple commercial.

Pretty sure it's what you think it means... on purpose.

Also, yes it will be fun to look back at commercials from this decade in 30 or 40 years and see things like "Super-OMLED Screens" because the future might be something like touching thin-air with a special glove on or visors we all wear to enhance reality (like seeing different light wavelengths or have a HUD all the time) or maybe holograms of the person you are talking to in-real time (think star wars).

And that's besides the obvious leaps in computing power/memory soon to be seen with quantum computing or atomic processors.

Don't need special gloves. Have you heard of the musical instrument called a Theremin?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin

The fact that this thing exists as a musical device means that it is possible to use the stupidly old tech as a control method for electronics.

I think tech is going to get less complicated. I just had my uverse gateway go out (no internet for 3 days) and aside from the fact that the router/gateway is so fragile (only lasted 4 months), I don't know what thinking cap I put on to set it up. I simplified the setup, but now ooma internet phone doesn't have priority. Both the second router and the gateway were hijacked, as well as 5 different versions of firefox on the various partitions. I then noted that the internet itself seems hijacked, both comcast and att. Sometimes a text version of even techspot appears, then it goes to the actual website with pictures. It's called future shock. Am I missing something in thinking the web is hijacked/intercepted? That might be how adblock works, so I guess I shouldn't worry. Have to safeguard myself.

Last edited:
Back