This stunning video of the Martian surface took three months to make

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) blasted off from Cape Canaveral in August 2005 carrying, among other instruments, the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera.

The $40 million instrument has been snapping high-resolution images of the Martian surface for the past decade, providing us with a more detailed look at the planet’s surface than has previously been seen (from orbit). The photos it snaps, which are useful in helping to identify safe landing sites for future Mars landers, are also readily available to the public.

Jan Fröjdman, a Finnish filmmaker and space enthusiast, recently put this data to good use.

Over a three-month period, Fröjdman took imagery from HiRISE and transformed it into a colorized, dynamic, 3D, overhead view of Mars. As Wired notes, he used more than 33,000 hand-selected reference points in creating the video. That’s some serious dedication, especially when you learn that software exists that could have saved him a ton of time.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

THis video is stunning and even though it is not a real flyover it's awe-inspiring nonetheless.

P.S.
I do not like all the random buzzing and static noises in the videos and it gets annoying really quickly

Heard no static or buzzing on my end ..... you might want to check your connection or speakers ..... just a thought.

Heard no static or buzzing on my end ..... you might want to check your connection or speakers ..... just a thought.

He's talking about the random techno sounds that play over the ambient music. Had to press the mute button myself after about 60 seconds.

Take a note of this imagery. They'll be Photoshopping in the "manned" landers later on. This is exactly what they did with the fictitious manned Moon landings.

There are millions of stunning videos of places on planet Earth, many with more rock and dust than on Mars, and human beings on Earth can visit most of them without wasting $trillions. Even videos of Earth's 'local' moon are as un-exciting as videos of Mars, videos taken with expensive remote-controlled cameras.

Even more stunning would be microbe-sized cameras taking videos inside live humans to discover and pin-point cancer cells in order to exterminate the killer cells with microbe-sized equipment.

Just terrible CGI. We had tech like this back in the Mojoworld days, and this is only slightly better-rendered. It's pretty much evidence against Martian deployments. If they had real orbiters and satellites and rovers on Mars, why do they only feed us this CGI garbage?

Back