This wearable from Leatherman takes practicality to a whole new level

Shawn Knight

Staff member

leatherman tread watch wristwatch bracelet wearable leatherman

The issue most people have with the current crop of wearables is the fact that they aren’t perceived as being all that useful. Outside of a few niche exceptions, I think most would agree that today’s wearables don’t really meet a need or solve a problem. Quite frankly, they’re impractical.

The latest wearable from multi-tool maker Leatherman, however, is quite the opposite.

The Leatherman Tread was created to fill a need. Company president Ben Rivera was denied access to Disneyland while on vacation with his family due to the fact that he was carrying a multi-tool. After dropping the offending tool off at the hotel, he got to thinking of ways in which he could keep some of the less-offensive components of his multi-tool with him without raising suspicion.

Hence, the Leatherman Tread was born.

The Tread is a fully-customizable wristband (or watch, should you opt for a model with a watchface) that not only looks cool, but is extremely functional. Each link is made of corrosion resistant, injection-molded 17-4 stainless steel and features two to three functional tools that can be removed and used at a moment’s notice.

Users can remove and rearrange the links as they see fit, add new ones or remove unused links for a better fit. Even the clasp is functional as it doubles as a bottle opener and a #2 square drive. In total, you get 25 usable tools such as box wrenches and screwdrivers. Think of it as a Pandora bracelet for guys.

While I recognize the fact that this isn’t something we would typically cover, the urge to share a truly useful wearable with our readers was simply too great to pass up.

The Leatherman Tread goes on sale this summer with the watch-equipped variant hitting stores in the fall. Pricing will start around $150 to $200 and it'll be available in the stainless steel and black finishes shown above. 

Permalink to story.

This is truly cool and useful. Hopefully the one without the watch will be less than $150. If that is the case I want one.

These are bad ace! Why must you do this to me Techspot? Tell me about something and make me want it, to later reveal the variant I want won't go on sale til the fall....

So it's a bracelet that has some flat and pointy bits that can be used as screwdrivers. Whoopee f-ing do.
I'm thinking that it would be bought by people who were eager to tell uninterested people of it's "hidden" uses.

I'm glad you guess posted about this because it's awesome!

What I really need to know, is if this would be an issue with TSA?

They never notice my key shaped multi-tool on my keychain. They'd just see you take off a bracelet and not give it a second look 99% of the time.

May look cool but totally worthless. All the pieces are screwed together and about as functional as a dull knife. No solid handle (or anything solid or very long) = little to no torque, and overpriced for sure. Better off carrying a normal leather man or just a screwdriver with a set of 1/4" drivers that would be a fraction of the price.

Yep this guy^ is right. Want a nice bracelet or watch buy one. I wouldn't rely on this thing to do much even if I was in a pinch.

Back