Thought of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this one! :D "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

Show me a man who has everything, and I'll show you a man who has nothing to live for.

This one I made up myself my sophomore year of H.S when the big y2k thing was going on. We had to write a short essay on our preperations and our feelings towards it. This is all word by word btw.

"Frankly, all of you and half of the rest of the world are complete *****s. It seems that in the scare you all have forgotten that this world was created and then given 24 time zones by man. Why you all scream that the world will end at 12am y2k, someone please tell me. Is this 12am gmt or gmt+10. I want to know so I can pack my bags and travel eastward to the future and avoid the end of the world. So, I beg of you my fellow classman, dont feed the ***** bucket."

Friendship is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

I like this one :D

to speak honestly is often an excuse to be rude

it is better to keep your mouth shut and look a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt
'mark twain'

anyone not guilty of this once in their life???

I realized that a nuclear bomb was not only possible, it was inevitable. I had then to start taking sleeping pills. It was the only remedy. - Sir James Chadwick.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Any one else got a thought for the day...

One more

Why do dogs hate it when you blow in their face and yet when you get them in the car they insist on sticking their face out of the window...??

Ididmyc600!

I can answer your dog question. The reason why dogs love to stick out their face out of the window is because they like the smell that is travelling with the wind, I guess there is no smell when we blow in their face.

tomrca said:
it is better to keep your mouth shut and look a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt
'mark twain'
I though this was by Abraham Lincoln?

jobeard said:

i can assure you jo that it was mark twain. (samuel langhorn clemens)
the exact wording is
"It is best to keep your mouth shut and be presumed ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt."

Build a man a fire keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire - keep him warm the rest of his life. Or something like that.

Reality Check......

jobeard said:

"Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men all created equal".

That was Lincoln! As you can tell by the content Mr. Lincoln was an idealist almost to the point of delusionality.
The writings of Mark Twain trend toward sarcastic pragmatism.

If you have enough thrust you could fly the Empire state building.....

foofoohightec said:
You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!
:D

Were you to scale the armor of the box to protect the entire airplane, the weight penalty would then likely require a nuclear bomb to provide sufficient impetus to achieve flight. This then in turn, would require further strengthening of the airframe, thereby increasing weight, which would in turn cause the stall speed of the aircraft to rise to unmanageable levels. A glide angle of 90 degrees is simply a completely irresponsible design parameter. Not to mention the wear and tear of vertical landings on the runways.

foofoohightec said:
You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!
:D

Because the question is WRONG!! The boxes are not indesctructible! Also, they are not black!! They're orange!!

I used to be an engineer and worked for the Canadian Aviation Safety Board on flight data recorder recovery methods. Although they are called "black boxes", they are actually orange so that they can be spotted easily in the field. They are not indestructible and are often damaged in the accident. What actually happens is that they are ejected from the aircraft upon impact in an effort to limit damage to them. But that does not mean they do not experience impact at all. They are also designed with padding to protect the magnetic tape from both physical and thermal damage. There were cases in which the tape was not recoverable.

So the question is really silly as that is not the case.

Now That Really Quashes the Idea......

almcneil said:
Although they are called "black boxes", they are actually orange so that they can be spotted easily in the field. They are not indestructible and are often damaged in the accident. What actually happens is that they are ejected from the aircraft upon impact in an effort to limit damage to them.

I believe they are called "black boxes" because it evokes more mystery than if the news industry called them "orange boxes". Which does illustrate that the TV news is actually entertainment, and you we shouldn't give to much credibility to the "accuracy" thereof. Face it, the average ***** wouldn't give a s*** if the "orange box" was or wasn't found, but the black one, oooo, now there's a story worthy of self immersion.

Besides, I had hoped that my absurd, pseudo-scientific, comic diatribe based in wing loading and power to weight ratio facts would help others to embrace the silliness. Chill Dude, fire up some Pink.
Furthermore, since the "flight data recorder" gets ejected from the plane, my scenario wouldn't work either, since the plane couldn't be ejected from the plane, or could it?

almcneil said:
Because the question is WRONG!! The boxes are not indesctructible! Also, they are not black!! They're orange!!

So the question is really silly as that is not the case.

Excuse the silliness of the question pal, it was more of a joke !!
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back