THQ mulling $40 million Project Natal game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Many anticipate the arrival of Microsoft's motion technology, Project Natal, and beyond wondering how well the device actually works, a couple major questions remain largely unanswered: What games will support it, and how many developers will jump onboard at launch? After all, what good is a new controller technology without anything to control?

At this point, we know Fable 3 and a handful of other games will support Natal, but THQ reportedly has a $30 to $40 million project tucked away. Despite having some cool ideas, THQ exec Danny Bilson said the company is waiting for Natal's install base to grow before starting development.

Bilson also noted that Natal's game experience hasn't matured yet, and THQ's concept will max out the technology. Although that title may be a few years away, Bilson said that THQ has one "awesome" Natal game coming this year that Microsoft's "really excited about," plus "a bunch" of family and kids games.

Permalink to story.

Project Natal will be a dismal failure because it's just a device meant for the casual gamer to get them into the X-Box. The X-Box gamer profile is not the same as the Wii crowd. Maybe Micro$oft will have to bundle Natal with the Arcade version of X-Box during the winter holidays to sell it.

I mostly feel that the biggest question is: Whats it for?

...sure the technology is cool an all, but what would i every use it for?

I kind of agree with Guest. In order for Project Natal to be worth it, MS must make sure it isn't the exact same experience you get on the Wii.

I do not see FPS games working with Natal other than water-down crap. There is no way a player can effectively move, aim, reload, duck, jump, etc in a FPS using Natal without getting killed in the game multiple times. I personally believe FPS games do not belong on a console and is not meant to be played without the skilled precision a keyboard and mouse that computer game players use.

I don't mind FPS games on consoles. I play them on the PC and console platforms. Most people just prefer what they're used to. It doesn't mean the other one is the worst thing since hell.

As for Project Natal, I expect it to be microsoft's version of wii. Not my cup of tea.

"Maybe Micro$oft will have to"

No No No, Natal is not needed when you can run just Tuxracer on Hanna Montana Linux.
Or better yet, UseEsotericWorkarounds(TM) to run a windows game on top of wine on top of a subset of opengl on top of gnome on top of x on top of suerland on top of kernel 2.6.x.
That way you can get a semi-functional, graphical glitched, latency induced, audio distorted heap of bootyhurt.

Thanks,

F$F Foundation. Please send all proceeds to $tallman's account in cash thanks.

Natal is not going to fail at all.

In fact besides the new Nintendo 3DS (the new generation Nintendo DS), the Xbox 360 will be the biggest seller this Christmas.

Hardcore gamers are stupid, they really fail at understanding new concepts and no your controller isn't going anywhere. This is an addition for you to enhance games with your gamepad.

The entire play games without a controller is for people who are not hardcore gamers.

Natal + New games that the Wii can't match + New 360 hardware (slim 360) + price drop (and natal being bundled with at least some slim 360's) will make it the biggest seller (other than the 3DS), this Christmas.

If you want a 360, you should get one now, you won't be able to find one when Christmas gets here.

Guest - so the people actually buying real games are stupid?

If you want simple games with poor graphics you can play with the family usually stick to the Wii,
XBox i more for hardcore gamers , spending alot of money on new games, not like wii users buying the wii an then keep playing tennis and bowling they get with it for ages.

To the guest,

Real gamers DO understand new technologies and how it may help or detract from the games they play.

LOL!

hello .. i like the concept, would love to see it work, even on PC! Otherwise i won't have it for i'm a PS3 owner.

well, i guess will have to wait & see how it turns out.

cheers!

i want natal to partially replace the mouse in windows. you don't need super high precision for simple desktop activities like minimize a windows screen and open up powerdvd.

purely motion without any physical controller will be good for my hands.

some day this kind of technology will replace the mouse in fps. what do you guys want, to use the same technology again and again and again? i want better. mouse & keyboard are here to stay but i look forward to their replacement.

Oh Come on. You people have no imagination. Natal is going to revolutionize the FPS experience in ways that you cant begin to imagine. while I am just a basic programmer of the web and mobile software variety, I could still list a multitude of ways that natal will not only enhance the fps experience but change the experience of gaming far beyond our wildest dreams. Watch the demo for EA's Burnout for natal on youtube. that alone shows just how the first person shooter will work on the natal. Think of multi-touch devices. Hand and finger gestures control a multi-touch device in a way that feels natural to the user. With natal full body gestures are what will determine the gaming experience. foot forward to move you're character forward return foot back to stop. foot backwards moves your character backwards return foot from back position stops aim your body the direction you want to go point to shoot and aim. Very simple body gestures are what will make these games work.

To bad they have developed a first person shooter like that for the arcade. Tho its not free room but you can duck, take cover. I'm sure they will figure it out. They have the money. If you do not like the idea then buy a ps3 you *****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back