TikTok is approaching the issue of bullying from both sides

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? TikTok is no different than other social networks in that bullying has become the skunk at the garden party. To help combat negative behavior and foster kindness, ByteDance is implementing two new features to give creators and commenters more control over what is said in comments.

The first new feature builds on TikTok’s existing comment filtering tool. When enabled, comments remain hidden from public view until a video’s creator approves them. Up to this point, content creators have been able to filter comments for spam, offensive material and specific keywords but this new feature goes much further.

TikTok is also rolling out a new prompt that asks users to reconsider posting a comment that may be inappropriate or unkind.

Rival social network Instagram implemented a similar feature in 2019, using artificial intelligence to identify potentially negative comments and asking people if they really wanted to post it. Last summer, Twitter in a bid to slow the spread of misinformation experimented with a feature asking users to read an article before sharing it.

TikTok further noted that it has partnered with the Cyberbullying Research Center, an organization whose mission is to “develop sound research about cyberbullying and related forms of abuse/misuse.” Together, they will work to advance knowledge of bulling online and in the real world, and come up with ways to better support the community.

Masthead courtesy Daniel Constante

Permalink to story.

Bullying in the physical form is illegal. It's called "assault".

Bullying in the verbal form isn't. It's called "free speech".

All you really do when you try to stop "free speech" is you cause people to start "burner accounts" so they can say what they want, anonymously, and if they lose an account - so be it - they default to the other(s).

Or, they'll just get more covert with their language and emojis.

The comments sections on any social media are absolute dumpster fires.

If you don't want no smoke, just stay out!

The free market responds favorably to "good products" and extremely harshly to bad products.

The social media, like Tik Tok, have no way to thought police while simultaneously inspiring inclusion. At the end of the day, the bully is part of the market too.

So video creator can show only those comments that please him. I'd rather see bullying than this.

As a video creator, let me say that sometimes I actually keep the bullying comments because I find them funny. The only comments I delete are the ones that serve no purpose at all beyond insults and epithets. I believe viewers should be able to post what they want, but I also believe the creator should have the ability to scree/delete comments at will.

Welcome to the greatest generation of bussies that can't take ANYTHING negative said to them! Grow some skin people and toughen-up!

Bullying in the physical form is illegal. It's called "assault".

Bullying in the verbal form isn't. It's called "free speech".

All you really do when you try to stop "free speech" is you cause people to start "burner accounts" so they can say what they want, anonymously, and if they lose an account - so be it - they default to the other(s).

Or, they'll just get more covert with their language and emojis.

The comments sections on any social media are absolute dumpster fires.

If you don't want no smoke, just stay out!

The free market responds favorably to "good products" and extremely harshly to bad products.

The social media, like Tik Tok, have no way to thought police while simultaneously inspiring inclusion. At the end of the day, the bully is part of the market too.

I will actually give you a like, 100% agreed, honestly what kind of snowflake do you have to be to get upset about stuff on social media?

Anonymity is the main issue, some people say and do things they wouldn’t even consider in person because they feel safe in anonymity with no possible consequences.

I will actually give you a like, 100% agreed, honestly what kind of snowflake do you have to be to get upset about stuff on social media?
I will actually give you a like, 100% agreed, honestly what kind of coal do you have to be to get upset about stuff on social media?

Over the weekend, Mumford & Sons lead guitarist Winston Marshall committed the "unpardonable sin" of endorsing conservative journalist Andy Ngo’s book unmasking antifa. The woke mob raised a ruckus, and Marshall’s own bandmates appear to have bought into the specious claim that any opposition to antifa agitators somehow makes a person “fascist.”

Marshall had nothing to apologize for. His endorsement of Ngo’s book Unmasked did not endorse fascism and included nothing objectionable. Congratulations [Andy Ngo]. Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man.

Ngo is indeed a brave man. He took to the streets to cover antifa agitators who engaged in violence in Portland. Antifa agitators thew "milkshakes" at him, hurled projectiles at him, punched him, and kicked him. He continued to report on their activities and law enforcement’s actions to hold them accountable.

Over the summer, the antifa riots that had long plagued Portland spread across the country. Black Lives Matter protests following the death of George Floyd devolved into looting, rioting, and arson, and antifa agitators played a key role in this violence. Yet the legacy media denied the violence and destruction, claiming the riots were "mostly peaceful protests."

Antifa agitators and other leftist activists have demonized Ngo and others who call out antifa violence, claiming that any disagreement with antifa’s far-left aims is tantamount to support for fascism.

Ngo and others like him face harassment for daring to oppose the Left’s orthodoxy and tell the truth about the Left’s violence.

Last edited:
Back