Tinder's new 'Gold' subscription lets you cut right to the chase

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tinder used Hump Day to unveil a new premium feature for those willing to open their wallets in the pursuit of love. Tinder Gold, described by the company as a first-class swipe experience, includes a feature called “Likes You.”

As the name suggests, this section shows paying users a list of people that have already swiped right on their profile. From there, you’ll be able to auto-match, dismiss or click through to users’ profiles to learn more about them.

A golden heart icon with three stripes that shows up on a profile while swiping is another indicator that someone has already swiped right on you.

The "Likes You" feature is essentially a head-start to the finish line and could be a decent time-saver for those leading busy lives that want to cut right to the chase.

Tinder says it’ll begin testing the new feature in Australia, Argentina and Mexico in the coming days with hopes to roll out to all users in the near future.

Tinder Gold will be available to both free users and those that already pay for Tinder Plus. Like Plus, it’ll also include perks such as Unlimited Likes, Rewind and Passport as well as five Super Likes per day, one Boost per month and additional controls over your profile.

Pricing hasn’t yet been revealed as Tinder is reportedly testing a number of different price points across multiple markets to gauge what people are comfortable paying.

Permalink to story.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the one guy on Tinder who doesn't think it's a hookup app:
Never used Tinder, have you?

There are a lot of ways to respond to this. I'll be civil with it because the last time I teed off one one of these hanging curves the mod didn't take kindly to the damage done to the scoreboard.

Fire up Tinder (pun intended, albeit post-composition). Swipe to the hot girls (not the single mothers who have recently found Christ and are looking for a Strong and Faithful(TM) man to be their rock*). Read their profiles. Then, look at their photos.

Now, you tell me. What kind of person looks for "love" in a low cut dress and/or bikini, somehow always shot at the sexiest angle? Furthermore, what kind of fantasy-addled male specimen observes said presentation and concludes that all of these sexy photos are just innocent representations of women looking for deep, penetrating..."pair bonding?"

It's a hookup app, bro. The exceptions prove the rule.

*This may be a characteristic inherent to my region.

I'm amazed that this is such a popular app. It's something I'd never, ever consider using and most people I speak to have never even heard of it... well, at least that's what they say.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the one guy on Tinder who doesn't think it's a hookup app:

There are a lot of ways to respond to this. I'll be civil with it because the last time I teed off one one of these hanging curves the mod didn't take kindly to the damage done to the scoreboard.

Fire up Tinder (pun intended, albeit post-composition). Swipe to the hot girls (not the single mothers who have recently found Christ and are looking for a Strong and Faithful(TM) man to be their rock*). Read their profiles. Then, look at their photos.

Now, you tell me. What kind of person looks for "love" in a low cut dress and/or bikini, somehow always shot at the sexiest angle? Furthermore, what kind of fantasy-addled male specimen observes said presentation and concludes that all of these sexy photos are just innocent representations of women looking for deep, penetrating..."pair bonding?"

It's a hookup app, bro. The exceptions prove the rule.

*This may be a characteristic inherent to my region.

Have you explored the "Going out" feature, where you and up to 3 friends can swipe through other groups of people who are going out? Do you think that's just used for meeting up and having orgies? I use it when traveling all the time to meet new people, or at least have interesting conversations with non-locals. You can use it however you want, but REALISTICALLY most don't use it for hookups. Seriously, every female profile has to specify "not looking for hookups", because short-sighted d-bags who download the app for 30 minutes tarnish the intended use. My friends and I? We use it to spice up our social lives...and it works great.

It's a social app, bro. People use it a variety of ways. You need to learn all of it's uses and features before classifying it as you do.

All that being said...I don't live in a big city, maybe that's part of the difference. The way the app started out, sure - I could see why you would think it's for hookups. But it's got a little more depth now.

*Edit* I kind of lost sight of the article. Tinder Gold...meh. It's the same thing every other dating/"hookup" app is doing.

Tinder started out as a hook-up App. I remember swiping through it back in college. Then the Frat Boys found it, and Nash's Equilibrium took over. They swiped right on everyone, and spammed every match with "eyyy bebe, u wnt som fuk?"* Now the app is pretty much worthless for dating or hookups. Most of the swipe-to-date apps are now, which is why they are all launching 'friends' features - and are actually making more money off of those than they ever did from dating. Case in point, they keep having to sweeten the pot to get people to sign up for the paid versions of the dating-side of the app - like this new feature in particular, which they're just copying from Bumble's paid tier anyway - but the friends paid features remain pretty static.

Yeah, all those born-again-teen-moms someone else mentioned? Just more evidence that the dating side is dead for these apps.

*I'm paraphrasing here, but that is a relatively accurate representation of the kind of messages, both in Grammar and content, one would receive after Tinder became popular.

Part of the reason why this generation has no interest in marriage and/or why they don't last more than a couple of years. Easy come, easy go.

REALISTICALLY most don't use it for hookups. Seriously, every female profile has to specify "not looking for hookups", because short-sighted d-bags who download the app for 30 minutes tarnish the intended use. My friends and I? We use it to spice up our social lives...and it works great.

It's a social app, bro. People use it a variety of ways. You need to learn all of it's uses and features before classifying it as you do.

All that being said...I don't live in a big city, maybe that's part of the difference. The way the app started out, sure - I could see why you would think it's for hookups. But it's got a little more depth now.

If it weren't primarily used for hookups it wouldn't have a reputation for being used primarily for hookups. Now, if you are outside of the cities/suburbs, your experience may vary. I'll concede that entirely.

However, around major cities, it's a hookup app. For social enrichment the rest of us use social apps...like Facebook Groups and Meetup.

As far as women specifying "not looking for hookups" ... Of course it says that. "Looking for hookups" = biggest possible **** signal. Just because a girl smiles at you doesn't mean she wants to sleep with you. Also, just because a girl says she isn't looking for a hookup doesn't mean she's not looking for a hookup.

Now the app is pretty much worthless for dating or hookups. Most of the swipe-to-date apps are now, which is why they are all launching 'friends' features - and are actually making more money off of those than they ever did from dating.

I'd like to see their figures. Back in 2010 when Tinder was booming, it was a fairly hyped product. Now, any time I hear a chick talk about Tinder, PoF, Eharmony, etc., they all say the same thing: "that's so thirsty." Any guy not driving a Porsche seems to think the same thing.

Back