Toshiba debuts first notebook to play 3D Blu-ray content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Toshiba has announced the world's first notebook to play 3D Blu-ray content, the 15.6-inch Satellite A665. The machine utilizes an LED-backlit 1366x768 120Hz display along with WinDVD BD and Nvidia's 3D Vision software for 3D Blu-ray playback. Inside is a quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU, an Nvidia GeForce GTS 350M GPU with a gig of VRAM, and up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM as well as 750GB of storage.

Additional details include gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, three USB 2.0 ports (one eSATA combo), a multi-card reader, HDMI-out, a 1.3MP camera, analog and DVB-T hybrid TV tuner, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The Satellite A665 will also be available without 3D, and according to the spec sheets, that iteration will be configurable with a Core i5 processor.

The system is set to debut in Japan late next month under the name "Dnyabook TX/98MBL" ("Satellite A665" is for Europe and presumably the US). Pricing hasn't been mentioned, but Engadget reports that it's expected to be listed in the vicinity of $2,700.

Permalink to story.

A $2700 machine that supposedly can do 3D blue-ray, but yet the resolution is only 1366x768. Massive FAIL.

If you are going to have a machine that has this capability, then at least have it capable of displaying 1080p. And for $2700 having only a 1366x768 resolution - that is also another fail.

When I design websites my target resolution is 1024x768, which means that with a display of only 1366x768, you will not see the entire page without scrollbars (unless you hide the taskbar)...

Excellent point, Guest.

I still believe this whole 3D nonsense being crammed down our throats by manufacturers is going to blow up in their faces. There's just no inexpensive and quality way to do it. And as long as there are glasses involved, it's a dead duck.

hello ...

I'm a PRO 3D, but like you two said, that resolution for that price & still forced to use glasses make this machine a bit too expensive.

I want a gaming machine, but don't feel a laptop is the best go, i want to be able to upgrade easily.

cheers!

15.6 inch screen... 1366x768 (which is able to best display 720p)... Windows Home Premium...

This price tag just isn't good at all. Not to mention if I HAVE to put on glasses to play a game, I'm done with gaming.

When will they learn to stop marketing 3D when they involve a user having to wear glasses. Those glasses are INCREDIBLY annoying, i will never use glasses for 3D except when i go to the cinema with friends.

If the 3D industry really want to make 3D the next big thing in people's living rooms or wherever, then they're gonna have to remodel the whole "how we see 3D" because glasses will kill 3D eventually.

I'd be impressed if anyone could tell 720p from 1080p on a 15" widescreen display. Still, Blu-ray should be displayed in 1080p to view content correctly.

also pro 3D but anti High price. glasses? well if they can make them looki good, and not cost too mcuh (I mean $2000 for a 3D TV then $200 per pair of glasses! WTF)

Tekkaraiden said:
I'd be impressed if anyone could tell 720p from 1080p on a 15" widescreen display. Still, Blu-ray should be displayed in 1080p to view content correctly.

Actually on a laptop screen it makes a huge difference!

consider 720p is 1280x720 and 1080p is 1920x1080 thats an incredible amount of extra room on your desktop!

Only don't notice it too much on a TV because unlike a pc, You don't use it for apps or anything special, just movies so when you jump from 720p to 1080p the difference is far less noticable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back