Toshiba unveils world's first 14 TB hard drive to use conventional magnetic recording

By midian182 ยท 10 replies
Dec 11, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Back in October, Western Digital announced it had beaten rival Seagate by releasing the world’s first 14TB hard drive. But Toshiba has now gone one better with the MG07ACA; while it also has 14 TB of storage, the drive is the first of its size to use conventional magnetic recording (CMR) rather than the slower shingled magnetic recording (SMR).

Unlike SMR drives, the MG07ACA doesn’t need to rewrite adjacent tracks when the contents of an existing track are updated, which slows down the process. Toshiba’s helium-sealed design, which reduces aerodynamic drag on the platters, uses a 9-disk array—another world first, according to the company. That works out at a 1.555TB/platter areal density.

"We have raised the bar with the new MG07ACA Series 9-disk helium-sealed design," said Akitoshi Iwata, Vice President of Storage Products Division, Toshiba Electronic Devices and Storage Corporation. "By utilizing an innovative design, we continue to improve the benefits that high-capacity disk storage can deliver to our broad global customer base."

The drive spins at 7,200rpm and features a 6Gb/s SATA interface. Not only does it have 40 percent more capacity that its predecessor—the MG06ACA drive—but it also improves the W/GB efficiency rating by 50 percent compared to the previous generation.

Toshiba hasn’t released many other specifications, such as price and throughput, but it did reveal that the drive has a 2.5 million-hour (285 years) MTBF (mean time between failures). There’s also an eight-platter model available with a 12 TB capacity.

While they would certainly be helpful for storing your Steam catalog, the MG07ACA drives are aimed at enterprise users in businesses such as cloud and hyperscale data centers, rather than regular consumers.

Permalink to story.

2. DaveBG

DaveBG TS Addict Posts: 302   +97

About time. My 10 TB drives are getting full by the day.

senketsu likes this.
  3. Squid Surprise

Squid Surprise TS Evangelist Posts: 1,565   +713

And to think I just got 2 12TB drives a few weeks ago... Feeling like a sucker :)

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 3,329   +1,978

I'm just wondering how long it takes to back those babies up!

5. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,681   +1,080

I don't want to know XD

6. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,471   +375

Something something heat death of the universe, something something something. =p

Athlonite and stewi0001 like this.
  7. Potato Judge

Potato Judge TS Member Posts: 65   +24

And the most I have is still 500 GB. lol.

Danny101 likes this.
  8. Danny101

Danny101 TS Booster Posts: 113   +47

I've yet needed over 1 TB of storage. I got Steam now, so I'll see what needs I'll have later. As of late, especially with magnetic drives, I've learned that even though I don't need a lot of storage, the bigger drives are faster than the smaller ones.

9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,146   +911

In a couple of years when these go down in price, I'll grab five of them to replace my 4x4TB array in the home server. Glad to see they're still making head way in this area!

10. orondf

orondf TS Booster Posts: 94

Keeping an eye on this for when my 2x4TB isn't enough for me anymore

11. senketsu

senketsu TS Maniac Posts: 315   +194

14.5 TB in my box (`75% full), stuff like this is great for backup although going a little down in capacity saves dollars. But some businesses need this I imagine. 9 disks, two heads per disk, spinning at 7200 rpm for 24/7
    what could go wrong?