Toshiba's 4K notebook ships next week for under $1,500

Shawn Knight

Staff member

toshiba

Toshiba will launch one of the first notebooks with a 4K resolution display next week. The Satellite P55T features a 15.6-inch display operating at a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 which is four times the number of pixels found in a traditional 1080p HD display.

Toshiba’s upcoming notebook was first showcased at the Consumer Electronics Show this past January in Las Vegas. Resolution aside, Toshiba sends word that each Ultra HD display is individually calibrated using Chroma Tune – an app that comes pre-loaded so users can choose their own color profile. They’re also Technicolor Certified during production for a more natural color expression and accurate gamut.

toshiba

The system is no slouch under the hood either as it is powered by a fourth generation Intel Core i7 Haswell quad-core CPU, up to 16GB of DDR3 memory and up to an AMD R9 M265X GPU with 2GB OF GDDR5 memory. Elsewhere, we find 802.11 ac Wi-Fi, four USB 3.0 ports, a full-size HDMI port capable of 4K and a built-in Blu-ray drive.

In a day and time where optical drives are approaching extinction, this system has one.

toshiba

The only obvious flaw on paper is the 1TB hard drive. While it’ll no doubt offer plenty of storage space for creative types, the lack of solid state storage will certainly hold the entire system back in terms of overall performance. This would be the first thing I'd replace after purchasing, but I digress.

The Satellite P55T will be available starting April 22 from $1,499.

Permalink to story.

So tell me again why a 4k laptop would be great... The battery life on a 4k display laptop would be what 2-3hours idle/in-use? I thought laptops were meant to be portable not like a desktop always plugged in... soo much stuff on a laptop which will mean its battery life is useless.

If it was a 1080P screen then ye I could see it working but with these specs it makes you wonder if they are trying to make laptops into tiny desktop pc's instead of useable laptops that last 8-10hrs...

I was just reading about why DELL P2414Q isn't as practical as its 32" version - only because most of applications still have no support for retina screens, and thus on 24" look barely usable.

On 15" all such applications will be 100% unusable, the whole lot of them in fact. It will take years for the market of applications to catch up, while great many useful applications will never be updated at all, because nobody develops them anymore.

And being limited to just MS applications isn't very useful.

Apple created a usable retina platform because they control the market very up-close, while in Windows platform the applications market is a wild zoo that won't be tamed.

In all, a laptop like this is only suitable for professional use when you have to use specific applications known to support retina screens. But for general purpose it is not practical.

Last edited:
I couldn't care less about 4K at the moment, one of these days when it's mainstream you'll be able to pick up machines like this for a dime a dozen. $1500? Yeah, right.

Or...you can pick up a 1080p Toshiba Satellite with a high capacity hard drive at 7200RPM for less than $700. Or, pick up two and give one to a friend for the price of a $1500 4K Toshiba.

This just does not look like a laptop I would be interested in. Even with a M265X the Graphics performance will be abyssmal even for the most mainstream stuff. Plus the fact that not many applications are 4k complaint yet will make it annoying in that size more than anything.

If I spend 1500 bucks on a laptop, the only way I would take a 5400RPM 1tb drive would be if I got either an M290X GPU or GTX 880m GPU inside and a second slot for an SSD. I would rather have just a good ole 1080p screen though for that anyways.

I'd rather have 1TB hard drive than 256GB SSD. Difference in speeds is not that noticeable anyway. As for 4K, I don't really care about it much. I have 1366x768 resolution on 15.4" display and it's not great but It's a laptop so who cares.

Just like smartphones, resolution race seems to be spreading on notebooks.

I am thinking about replacing my 3 year old DV6011TX, and so far the ones I've looked at are 15.6" screen with1080p resolution at max, and I want decent battery life, a higher mainstream graphics solution (like GT765M+ or similar AMD Radeon), SSD+1TB, with at least 8GB RAM. I am tilting towards getting an Alienware offering with similar specs few months down the road though.

Back