Tranferring data from old thinkpad via USB in Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have an IBM Thinkpad with Windows 98. I need to transfer the data to my new laptop. I have used a Sandisk cruzer mini 128 that just died. Great product for me. I bought a new cruzer mini 512 and it will not work in Windows 98 (although the 128 did).

What can I do to get my data out of this thinkpad onto my new one. The old one has a USB port from 1998.

what will work to get this done from Win 98? Its Win 98 not Win 98 se

Any advise greatly appreciated.

if both laptops have a USB port just get a USB cable, and hook them together and drag and drop. it will be slow but is possible.

if both laptops have a USB port just get a USB cable, and hook them together and drag and drop. it will be slow but is possible.

Yes that's a good idea but you can also put an external CD Drive or DVD Drive to it and burn all that you need.

Another option if a burner is not available and both laptops have network connectivity is to share the folder on the Win98 box and access it from the new laptop.

All of these options will work.

Thanks

I will try to get a USB bridged cable. I think that is the easiest way to do what I want. I hope I can find one for Win 98.

Thanks for the replies.

I do think they both have ethernet sockets however

I will try to get a USB bridged cable. I think that is the easiest way to do what I want. I hope I can find one for Win 98.

Thanks for the replies.

I do think they both have ethernet sockets however

Don't mind about searching for Win 98 cable as it will be the same for every OS....

I've read online that someone that had laplink couldn't move files from 98 to 98SE. Should this concern me? As my sandisk mini cruzer works in 98SE and not in 98.

Yeah for Windows 98 there some hardware that don't work on it but on the Windows 98SE a lot more can as for Winodws XP so don't get worry if you are moving to 98SE or XP or even further more.

Note, to be specific, it must be a Win 98SE computer to support USB 2.0. If it is only Win 98, the USB port will be USB 1.0 and will not work with a USB 2.0 cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back