Trio of classic 16-bit Disney platformers now available online

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A trio of popular Disney video games from the 16-bit era – Aladdin, The Jungle Book and The Lion King – are now available exclusively on GOG.com in their original form.

GOG says the classic platformers have been meticulously updated to ensure compatibility with modern operating systems. That said, the games’ original graphics, sound and gameplay weren’t tampered with as to remain as authentic as possible (they even kept the native 4:3 aspect ratio).

In other words, these aren’t some cheesy HD remakes with reworked controls or lame soundtracks. This also means that virtually any modern PC should be able to handle the games without breaking a sweat.

All three games were originally released in the mid-90s across a variety of platforms including the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and the Sega Genesis (Aladdin was limited to the SNES although it was later released on the Game Boy Advance). I don’t recall ever playing The Jungle Book or The Lion King but I do have fond memories of renting and playing Aladdin with my cousin.

I’m surprised at how well the graphics in Aladdin have held up over the years. Sure, they aren’t very impressive by today’s standards but back in 1993, this was considered cutting-edge. Unsurprisingly, the title earned high marks across multiple publications including Nintendo Power.

For a limited time, each game is being offered individually for $8.99, a 10 percent discount off their eventual retail price of $9.99. Conversely, you can score all three in a bundle through August 8 for just $19.99 which represents a 33 percent discount.

Permalink to story.

The big question I have is which version of Aladdin is it, as the differences between ports were quite large

these aren't some cheesy HD remakes with reworked controls or lame soundtracks

- a hypocritical statement usually indulged by people stuck in their own past.

- a hypocritical statement usually indulged by people stuck in their own past.
What I'm wondering is how this statement
In other words, these aren't some cheesy HD remakes with reworked controls or lame soundtracks. This also means that virtually any modern PC should be able to handle the games without breaking a sweat.
is a reword from this?
That said, the games' original graphics, sound and gameplay weren't tampered with as to remain as authentic as possible (they even kept the native 4:3 aspect ratio).
"Cheezy HD remakes" from "original graphics ... weren't tampered with"
"Rework controls or lame soundtracks" from "sound and gameplay weren't tampered with"

"I’m surprised at how well the graphics in Aladdin have held up over the years."

I think I remember hearing that the artists of the Aladdin movie were also involved with the game.

2D games age very well unlike 3D games that look godawful when they have aged a bit, especially the N64 or godforbit LHX. Hand drawn sprites remind me of comics and the likes. Its a timeless art style.

Last edited:
Back