Triple Channel Memory P45 Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehighroad

Hello!

I was just thinking about adding another GB of ram to my 32bit system. Currently I have 2GB in dual channel mode, and have a 1gb 4870 video card. Adding one more gigabyte of ram should be usable, correct? (2^32=4gb less the hdd cache which is 32mb)

At newegg.ca they sell the exact same brand and timing ram (GSkill DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15) in 2gb (2x1gb)--which is what I currently have--and 1gb sticks. So I am considering buying one more stick.

I am quite aware that most motherboards with 3 sticks will enter single channel mode, but mine the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L has the P45 chipset, and if you see here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-011965.htm#flex

Triple channel memory can be run despite the dimms being 0 to 3 not 0 to 5. I at this point assume I can run this mode as my mobo again has the p45 chipset and if you look at the "supported" intel motherboards you can see some with the p45, and p43 chipsets at the bottom i.e the DP45SG.

What do you think I should do? Did I misunderstand? By the way my Windows 7 installation again is 32-bit so I am limited. And 4x1gb sticks sounds fine, but i`ll end up wasting $30 completely because by the time i purchase a 64bit os I will replace all my hardware anyways.

All opinions Welcome! Thanks!

I have the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard installed.
-> I used an intel motherboard as an example in the supported list.
The link between them is the P45 chipset (or just 4-series).

EDIT:

I think I may have answered my own question. If you care, google the intel motherboard: DX58SO.

That sucks.

***I guess now if anyone knew a lot about the Flex memory mode... would my 3 dimms at least be running in dual channel mode or should I just scrap the whole idea.

Adding the third RAM module will take it out of dual channel. I'm not an expert on Flex but it only applies to RAM modules that do not match exactly. You still need two for dual channel, not three. Triple channel is only supported by DDR3.

Adding the third RAM module will take it out of dual channel. I'm not an expert on Flex but it only applies to RAM modules that do not match exactly. You still need two for dual channel, not three. Triple channel is only supported by DDR3.
Triple channel is supported just by the processors Core i7 9xx, and, these only support DDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back