Trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhonour

I finally scanned my comp with Norton (didnt before because it takes ages) and it detected a trojan. It removed it but Im wondering what could it have done to my system while it stayed?

A trojan is a serious security risk. If you have used your PC to buy anything on the internet and supplied credit card details online, you might feel it worthwhile to ask for a new card. If you have registrations on various places, for example email addresses, you should change all your passwords. You should never, ever use the same password on different sites, although using the same user id is less of a problem. For example, you could contruct a password for each site by using (say) the first three letters of the site, followed by a significant number backwards (your birth-year) for instance), then a fixed password (1st two letters in upper case).

Here is an example for this site "tso6591EXhonour" Now you see how easy it is to create a memorable, yet hard to crack password which is unique to a site.

Unwise to have your ID as "Trojan"
You should run scans from the SuperAntispyware, MalwareBytes, and something like the free Avir Antivirus as a start.
When done, immeditely cold boot, and run again in SAFE MODE

His ID isn't 'Trojan'- that's the Subject!
(didnt before because it takes ages)
Before what? You need to scan regularly. A Tip: do a disc cleanup before you scan with your security programs.

Trojans come from many places. Not knowning which of the many Trojan infections you had makes it impossible to advise on how you may have gotten it or prevented it! For instance> some come with download of programs or files. Some can come in an infected email or attachment, etc. etc.

Before never? I havent scanned for years. I only scan with Norton the things that I download seperately. I rely on other more quicker scanners, Norton only helps with the firewall blocking, etc.

I rely on other more quicker scanners,
Such as?

Don't you realize that you can get infected by just being on a web page? Clicking on a pop-up? Opening email? Opening an attachment? The idea is to keep Trojans, Worms, Viruses and other pests out! Some can destroy your entire system before you get around to using one of those 'quickie scans'!

You don't have to download to get infected! And no firewall is perfect!

Well I dont use email. Dont have any pop ups.

Heres what I use:

Including norton security centre with firewall and virus scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back