Trump administration puts Huawei licenses on hold as China tensions increase

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: After it appeared that the Trump administration was softening its stance on Huawei, the Chinese giant has just been dealt a blow. The White House has decided to delay a decision on granting licenses that allow US companies to do business with the firm—a requirement after it was blacklisted over national security concerns back in May.

According to Bloomberg, which cites people familiar with the matter, the decision comes after tensions with China ramped up once again. Earlier this week, the Asian nation said it was stopping purchases of US farming goods, which follows last week’s announcement by Trump that, beginning on September 1, the US will institute a 10 percent tariff on $300 billion of Chinese imports. The treasury department labeling China as a currency manipulator was unlikely to have helped matters.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross had said the decision to review more than 50 license applications could begin this week, but it seems those US firms looking to trade with Huawei are going to have to wait.

Almost two weeks after Huawei was added to an entity list, Trump said at the G20 summit that “US companies can sell their equipment to Huawei. I’m talking about equipment where there’s no great national emergency problem with it.” But the loosening of restrictions depended on China increasing its purchases from American farmers, which Trump says it failed to do.

While the Huawei ban is supposedly to protect America’s national security, adverse effects are being felt in the US, including the loss of 600 workers from its Futurewei subsidiary. And although firms have been using a loophole to circumvent the blacklisting, US tech giants warn that the situation will only harm the industry.

Earlier today, Huawei revealed what could be a potential replacement for Android on its smartphones, HarmonyOS.

Permalink to story.

Well, if China just wants even higher reciprocal tariffs then so be it. Eventually starvation will kick in because nobody but the US can produce enough food for their insane population growth.

Bloomberg News put up a fake story. I saw the video he never mentioned anything about Huawei and they also lied about that US companies will not be able to sell to Huawei. According to Caixin Global News, two Japanese companies received confirmation that American technology will be in Huawei phones so they will start selling them in Japan. This includes Google.

Bloomberg News put up a fake story. I saw the video he never mentioned anything about Huawei and they also lied about that US companies will not be able to sell to Huawei. According to Caixin Global News, two Japanese companies received confirmation that American technology will be in Huawei phones so they will start selling them in Japan. This includes Google.
That''s a Chinese web site . How is the article not propaganda? :confused:

Well, if China just wants even higher reciprocal tariffs then so be it. Eventually starvation will kick in because nobody but the US can produce enough food for their insane population growth.
As I see it, it is a game of chicken no one will win.

As I see it, it is a game of chicken no one will win.

As I see it, it is aggressive economic war and terror imposed by the US to China, and the rest of the world, because the US are unable compete on the world market abiding by WTO rules imposed by US after WW-II.

I know it is out of context but
China is world's biggest producer, importer and consumer of food. Just saying lol
Following with India which is the 2nd largest food producer.
Then comes the US.

As I see it, it is aggressive economic war and terror imposed by the US to China, and the rest of the world, because the US are unable compete on the world market abiding by WTO rules imposed by US after WW-II.
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/04/03/about-20-of-chinas-economy-is-contractingeconomist.html
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/sout...conomy-shrinks-us-china-row-hits-global-trade
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49290926
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...omy-contracts-sharply-as-manufacturing-slumps
Go Trump! :facepalm: Make America Red Again. :facepalm:

The tech companies Trump said he's fighting for(to protect secrets) all sent him a letter stating that they are against the tariffs. It's on Techspot look it up. It's also been stated that these tarriffs cost the USA about as much as the permanent tax breaks given to the top .1%. Good thing China is paying for it, oh wait, reality.

The tech companies Trump said he's fighting for(to protect secrets) all sent him a letter stating that they are against the tariffs. It's on Techspot look it up. It's also been stated that these tarriffs cost the USA about as much as the permanent tax breaks given to the top .1%. Good thing China is paying for it, oh wait, reality.

As long as the Yuan is devaluating you could argue China pays for it.. But as I gather, Trump is not to happy about the devaluation neither :)

Back