1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump administration puts Huawei licenses on hold as China tensions increase

By midian182 · 14 replies
Aug 9, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. According to Bloomberg, which cites people familiar with the matter, the decision comes after tensions with China ramped up once again. Earlier this week, the Asian nation said it was stopping purchases of US farming goods, which follows last week’s announcement by Trump that, beginning on September 1, the US will institute a 10 percent tariff on $300 billion of Chinese imports. The treasury department labeling China as a currency manipulator was unlikely to have helped matters.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross had said the decision to review more than 50 license applications could begin this week, but it seems those US firms looking to trade with Huawei are going to have to wait.

Almost two weeks after Huawei was added to an entity list, Trump said at the G20 summit that “US companies can sell their equipment to Huawei. I’m talking about equipment where there’s no great national emergency problem with it.” But the loosening of restrictions depended on China increasing its purchases from American farmers, which Trump says it failed to do.

While the Huawei ban is supposedly to protect America’s national security, adverse effects are being felt in the US, including the loss of 600 workers from its Futurewei subsidiary. And although firms have been using a loophole to circumvent the blacklisting, US tech giants warn that the situation will only harm the industry.

Earlier today, Huawei revealed what could be a potential replacement for Android on its smartphones, HarmonyOS.

Permalink to story.

2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 2,777   +2,589

Well, if China just wants even higher reciprocal tariffs then so be it. Eventually starvation will kick in because nobody but the US can produce enough food for their insane population growth.

tkabou, loki1944 and Mushahid like this.
  3. Franklin Strum

Franklin Strum TS Rookie

Bloomberg News put up a fake story. I saw the video he never mentioned anything about Huawei and they also lied about that US companies will not be able to sell to Huawei. According to Caixin Global News, two Japanese companies received confirmation that American technology will be in Huawei phones so they will start selling them in Japan. This includes Google.

4. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 4,118   +2,406

That''s a Chinese web site . How is the article not propaganda? :confused:

loki1944 likes this.
  5. wiyosaya

As I see it, it is a game of chicken no one will win.

Mixkhata likes this.
  6. netman

netman TS Evangelist Posts: 344   +105

There must be a loser, and that is the consumers!

wiyosaya likes this.
  7. Pinky The brain

Pinky The brain TS Rookie

Pride is before a crash, and a haughty spirit before stumbling

wiyosaya likes this.
  8. Pinky The brain

As I see it, it is aggressive economic war and terror imposed by the US to China, and the rest of the world, because the US are unable compete on the world market abiding by WTO rules imposed by US after WW-II.

wiyosaya likes this.
  9. Mushahid

Mushahid TS Rookie

I know it is out of context but
    China is world's biggest producer, importer and consumer of food. Just saying lol
    Following with India which is the 2nd largest food producer.
    Then comes the US.

wiyosaya and Mixkhata like this.
  10. wiyosaya

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/04/03/about-20-of-chinas-economy-is-contractingeconomist.html
    https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/sout...conomy-shrinks-us-china-row-hits-global-trade
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49290926
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...omy-contracts-sharply-as-manufacturing-slumps
    Go Trump! :facepalm: Make America Red Again. :facepalm:

11. Pinky The brain

12. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 2,609   +595

The tech companies Trump said he's fighting for(to protect secrets) all sent him a letter stating that they are against the tariffs. It's on Techspot look it up. It's also been stated that these tarriffs cost the USA about as much as the permanent tax breaks given to the top .1%. Good thing China is paying for it, oh wait, reality.

13. gandrew

gandrew TS Rookie

yeah I heard about it too

14. Pinky The brain

As long as the Yuan is devaluating you could argue China pays for it.. But as I gather, Trump is not to happy about the devaluation neither :)

15. loki1944

loki1944 TS Addict Posts: 178   +120

Outstanding. Kick those commies in the nuts.

tkabou likes this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...