Try 'Shadow of the Tomb Raider' for free before you buy

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Square Enix has launched a free trial of Shadow of the Tomb Raider in hopes of boosting sales. It's unclear how long the promotion will last so if you're interested, it'd be best to check it out ASAP.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider launched on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC back in September. If you missed the opportunity to check out Lara Crofts’ latest adventure – a forgivable offense given the steady diet of big-budget releases the past few months – you’re in luck as Square Enix is now offering a free trial of the game.

The offer, available on PS4, Xbox One and via Steam, grants full access to the opening levels of Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Progress made in the free trial will carry over to the full game, we’re told, so you won’t lose any achievements or trophies.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider hasn’t been the major hit that Square Enix was hoping for (hence the free trial and an earlier sale) but it did earn a nomination for best action / adventure game from The Game Awards. We’ll find out tonight if its bid was successful but given the stiff competition (it’s up against Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2), a victory seems like a long shot.

PCGgamesN reported shortly after launch that physical sales of the game in-store in the UK were down 70 percent compared to the 2013 reboot. Digital downloads weren’t accounted for, however, so it’s difficult to get an accurate measure of just how well the game sold early on.

Permalink to story.

The tomb raider reboots are just underwhelming games, rise was actually good until that terrible terrible terrible final encounter, it completely wrecked the entire experience, at least to me. it was the same with the first game, bad endings.

when I saw SotTR posted on steam I just kept scrolling, its no fun watching lara turn into a super serious murderer.

Maybe gamers are simply getting tired of the quick re-boots?

Games like Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, etc. Seems like it's not 30 days after release that the next one is announced.

Games like Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, etc. Seems like it's not 30 days after release that the next one is announced.
I dont think you have been playing the latest two AC games they are much much better in every way possible they are following the Witcher footsteps if you enjoyed the witcher 3 AC Odyssey is almost identical

The AAA free trial concept doesn't work for me and my crappy 6Mbps internet. It took me 5 days to download the Destiny 2 freebie; I flipped the table and deleted it with each consecutive 50GB patch.

I dont think you have been playing the latest two AC games they are much much better in every way possible they are following the Witcher footsteps if you enjoyed the witcher 3 AC Odyssey is almost identical
Seriously trying to convince ppl AC is identical to W3..hilarious

The AAA free trial concept doesn't work for me and my crappy 6Mbps internet. It took me 5 days to download the Destiny 2 freebie; I flipped the table and deleted it with each consecutive 50GB patch.
At 6Mbps you'd be waiting a loooong time. I'm downloading it now on Steam, and it's 14.6 GB. I'm pretty sure it's the full game and it locks you out once you reach a certain point. At least I won't have to download it again if I buy it! We'll see what the Xmas sale brings...

Seriously trying to convince ppl AC is identical to W3..hilarious
Yeah, more like AC desparately tries to copy W3. And fails.
Instead of high quality quests, engaging characters and side quests we get run off the mill quests, bland characters, broken assassination mechanism, level up your gear after you level up by spending materials every damn time or be left behind, side quests which are auto generated and have hilariously bad and disjointed dialogue.
The list goes on. I am 15 hours in Odyssey right now and its become exceedingly tiresome.

Yeah, more like AC desparately tries to copy W3. And fails.
Instead of high quality quests, engaging characters and side quests we get run off the mill quests, bland characters, broken assassination mechanism, level up your gear after you level up by spending materials every damn time or be left behind, side quests which are auto generated and have hilariously bad and disjointed dialogue.
The list goes on. I am 15 hours in Odyssey right now and its become exceedingly tiresome.
its not as engaging as the witcher 3 but still a big step from unity/syndicate hate on it as much as you want . I'm 51 hrs in and I love it and I think its step in the right direction

Back