Tutorial: How to use Files And Settings Transfer in Windows XP

korrupt

Are you getting a new pc or reformatting your old one but don’t want to lose all your files and settings? Then you are best of using the Windows XP files and settings transfer. This is a very helpful tool for transferring files and settings. The following tutorial will show step by step how to use F.A.S.T. I recommend using a portable hard drive for transferring files and settings (if you don’t have one, you can build one very cheaply by going HERE ) but I will also explain other transfer methods.

Step 1: Insert your Windows CD in the PC you need to files and settings from (the old system can be running Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, Me, NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows XP). Run setup.exe. From the Setup menu choose Perform Additional Tasks. On the next screen choose Transfer files and settings.

Step 2: Select transfer method: For a portable hard drive use the “other” option. The other choices speak for themselves.

Step 3: Choose what you want to transfer. These options speak for themselves. You can also select “Let me select a custom list of files and settings” (BEWARE: This is for more advanced users). The first 3 options are self explanatory so no need to go into detail about them. Skip to step 6 if you select one of these.

Step 4: Follow this step only if you selected “Let me select a custom list of files and settings”. Press “next”, this will bring up a screen where you can add files, settings, folders, and file types. This is a very powerful option but in order to use it, you will need to know your system and your files. Add the files, folders, settings and file types you want to transfer and then press next.

Step 5: Press “next” – this will bring up a screen with applications that Windows recognizes. This means that the Wizard will save the settings you have on these programs (Please keep in mind that these settings will only be transferred once you have installed these applications).

Step 6: Press “next” – this will collect all the files and settings and saves them to the location you specified. This may take a little while depending on the type and amount of files and settings you are transferring. Press “finish” if this is finished. Now all the files and settings have been saved from your old computer.

Step 7: Now it’s time to transfer all the data to your new (or newly reformatted) computer. Before you do this, make sure you have the applications mentioned in step 5 installed. Go to start>all programs>accessories>system tools>F.A.S.T. Select “New computer” (naturally). Select “I don’t need a wizard disk”. Select the location where the files and settings are located and press “next”. This will apply the settings to your new system and save the files. The time needed depends on the amount and size of files and settings.

Step 8: Once F.A.S.T has completed, it will display some recommendations and information. Now log off to save settings. You have now finalized transferring your files and settings.

NOTE: there is also an update available for F.A.S.T – this can be downloaded from the windows update website.

I hope this tutorial will help some people. Please feel free to make any suggestions and corrections.

Do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Good Luck to everyone.

Regards,

Korrupt

Just wondering if anyone used this tutorial? If so, how did you go and did you find this helpfull?

Regards,

Korrupt

First.., Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your great tutorials, korrupt. OK... I want to transfer music and video files from my old system running 98SE to my new system running XP PRO. "Insert your Windows CD..." Exactly which CD are we talking about?

So, I place my XP disk in my old system??? (Sounds like I might be getting into a phone booth with a gorilla...)

Yes, that is correct;) I'd be carefull with that gorilla, their nails are worse than angry girlfriends;)

Back