TV choice

fast_motion

I want to buy a new tv and I'm really torn between two choices... after reading alot of reviews I still can't make up my mind and I wanted to hear what you guys think. it's down to these two: Panasonic TX-P50ST60Y and Sony KDL-46W905A.

Go with the Sony. From what I've seen in showrooms, they generally have a better overall picture quality.

I've seen the sony actually for the first time in the store today, they were showing the first hobbit movie on it and it looked really good, plus the tv wasn't calibrated, just out of the box and on the shelf and still had a kick *** picture quality. so basically that's a big plus because I haven't seen the panasonic in person yet.

a big issue for I'd say it is the fact that the panasonic has 2500hz where sony has picture panel frequency of 200hz and backlight scanning of 800hz...

Last edited:
Panasonic having 2500MHz something doesn't mean squat. 200Hz panel is nice, but Bluray usually runs at 24 fps anyway.

You need to go back to the showroom and turn the backlight down to 20%, since they come out of box at a ridiculous 100%. Look for backlight uniformity and black levels. Also see if you can display the type of content you will usually watch.

Anything I've ever bought by Sony, has outlasted anything I've ever bought by Panasonic.........period.

And for true buying nirvana, avoid JVC and Sharp like the plague.

Anyhoo, I usually buy any major purchases on Black Friday, at Best Buy.

Last year, it was a BB house brand, "Insignia" 46" LED @ $329.95. Took it home, plugged it in, it works fine. At that price, it's a throwaway anyway. "Funai" electronics used to make their "Dynex" brand. I haven't bothered to Google the UL lab number on this turkey to find out where it came from.. Most likely, because I don't really care.

You do realize the 35 mm feature films run @ 24 frames per second, don't you? 480i TV runs @ 29.97 FPS but, that's an interlaced scan, so it only puts 15 FPS of actual information.

That kinda negates the need for anything faster than 60 Hz refresh. At least it does for me. The G to G time on the panel is likely a reason for any noticeable lab, or at least as much as the refresh rate.

Here's a tip, Best Buy always sells printer /scanner / copier combos at below cost on Black Friday. You can throw last year's printer away, and just buy a new one. After all, re-inking the current printer, would cost more than replacing it.;)

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna go with the sony... for me it could be a very big issue having a plasma and lots of light in the room and I can't cover up all the windows to make it look like a bat cave just for a tv... and furthermore it has to be an alround tv, cuz I won't be watchin movies on it day in and day out, so... it really breaks my heart because I fell in love with the panasonic first but since I can't find a store nearby where I can see how it delivers, a decision has to be made and that is.... Sony!!!

Back