Two faulty GTX 560 Ti GPUs

Schmutz

Posts: 124   +0
I have two GTX 560ti GPUs that I need to RMA because they crash when running DX11 applications at factory speeds (these are gigabyte overclocked cards 900MHz core and the only way to avert the crash is by under-clocking the core)

I purchased them from two different websites, one in March '11 one in June '11

1) is it necessary to send the correct item to the right retailer? i.e. will they have any way to check serial numbers and things

2) is there any way I could identify which one is which?! I have them both, 90% certain I know which GPU I bought second (still has the cover over the DVI port!) not sure about the packaging though...

It's a fiddly problem, but I feel I need to get to the bottom of it because they probably get a lot of customers cheekily trying to return old/broken hardware

Both are under warranty and I am fully confident I will be able to exchange them for a replacement/refund. My brother uses the same GPU and does not experience the same fault. I suspect it was an issue with earlier models as he purchased his in september '11.

Any advice or ideas?
 

dividebyzero

Posts: 4,840   +1,267
The warranty/RMA will be tied to the serial numbers. White sticker with bar code- which should be between the front GPU heatsink screw and the solder points for the cards VRM. I Think most Gigabyte boards only have two stickers attached- the white serial and a green QC.
 

Schmutz

Posts: 124   +0
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
thanks very much. You are correct about the white and green stickers. I have identified them easily and I will contact the retailer in advance to make sure I send back the correct item
 

Schmutz

Posts: 124   +0
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
that's the plan Buckshot! Do you have any suggestions? I am not sure if a single GPU can match the performance (I suspect dual core GPU's will). I will throw in a little extra and have a budget of around £500 to invest in something good (single/dual core/SLI/crossfire). I have no preference over ATI or Nvidia, owned decent GPUs from both. I run games at 2560x1440 so extra performance in games like Battlefield 3 would be excellent
 

Schmutz

Posts: 124   +0
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7
Buckshot420, do you think it would be worth investing in the 580 series now? just as the next generation of GPUs are being pushed out?

If they have dropped in price or offer similar performance then it's no problem. Otherwise, I feel it may be a bad time to upgrade especially to the pricey and high end 580 series. It seems like the worst possible choice I could make regarding timing/value/money. I wouldn't mind going a month or so without any GPU (using my 2600K integrated GPU in the meantime). Would probably get some good work done without any games to distract! ;) so if waiting for the next wave of ati/nvidia cards is something to consider, I'd be up for that