Two wisptis.exe running in Task Manager

AnxietyProne

I've been having a lot of Firefox crashes and freezing, and while in my Task Manager ending programs I noticed two wisptise.exe tasks running, one with description and the other without. I Google'd and all I could find were possible infection or corrupted data somewhere - both options sound pretty crappy. :/
Can someone fill me in on what exactly this is, and how to fix it? Thank you!

What it is and why you may be seeing 2 wisptis.exe processes:

The wisptis.exe is a pen input device tool for the Microsoft Tablet PC Platform. "WISPTIS" stands for "Windows Ink Services Platform Tablet Input Subsystem".

Which version of Windows is running on your computer, is it 32 bit or 64 bit? If you are running 64 bit version, this would be why the you see duplicate processes.

If you would like more information about this process, have a look on this site re: Microsoft Annoyance:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260&page=2

I have tried to following the orignal post guidelines but I keep getting errored and it closes. I've also tried to uninstall Microsoft Office and wisptis.exe stays. The wisptis.exe with Microsoft description I am able to change properties, so I set myself as owner and closed it manually, but it reopened after restart. The one without a description I'm still not able to close at all. :(

Click on the blue link first. When the page comes up, select the section for your operating system.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system:
Windows Vista or Windows 7

Windows XP

Windows Server 2003

--------------------------------------------------
Using End Task in the Task Manager can be risky.
Regarding the Firefox crashes, you are assuming that one of the "wisptis.exe" is the cause. A more likely cause may be an incompatible add-on. A better way to troubleshoot would be the following:

Start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.
This will restart Firefox in Safe Mode:
93cafd5e0e8bef77b66875863ae7f197-1259888532-113-1.png

Check Disable all add-ons> Make Changes> Restart Firefox in Normal Mode.

All your extensions, themes and plugins will be disabled (not uninstalled). Enable each one back into Firefox, checking the system performance between each.
If you crash after putting an add-on back, you will have the culprit> remove it.

To undo the change, you will need to enable each extension and plugin listed in the Add-ons Manager.
--------------------------------------------------------
If this fails to identify the cause of the crashes, be sure at least one crash is included recently and run the following:

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop:

Setting up the program

Double-click VEW.exe to run.

• Select log to query, select
  • Application
  • System

Under Select type to list, select:
  • Critical (Vista only)
  • Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
  • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.

Load the log
    When you open Notepad, click on Format> Uncheck 'Word Wrap' before you paste the log in.
  • In Notepad, click Edit> Select all
  • Then press Edit > Copy
  • Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log to your next reply.
(Courtesy rev-Olie)

Please leave the log in our next reply.

Back