Ubuntu on HP DV6T-7000: issues and hiccups

monkeychef23

Hello everyone,

I just got this HP a few weeks ago, and I have attempting to put Ubuntu on it. One of the issues I have had to overcome is that I have to deacivate Intel RST in order to access the main 1tb hard drive. My other issue is that when I get into Ubuntu, Partition names do not stay consistant, and I am not sure which partition I want to install to. I have a thread on Ubuntu forums (I'll just link it for now as I am too tired to continue typing). If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know if Intel RST just works or if it takes a little while for the main Hard drive to be accelerated, because I tried setting it up again and my main hard drive isn't sticking in the settings. Thanks!

Ubuntu Forums Link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2027783

I have moved this thread to the Alternative OS forum, in order to give you the best exposure for help.

Linux can have a total of 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary and a logical partition which allows for another 64 partitions. You need two partitions minimum to install Linux: one for root (labelled as /) and one for SWAP (labelled as SWAP) which ideally should be at the very beginning or end of a disk (if its not an SSD) for best performance.

The way you're trying to partition ahead of actually needing to is probably adding to the confusion. My advice is to use the GpartED CD or Windows (Disk management in Control Panel > Administrative Tools) to remove the Ext4 partition you created. It will then show in Ubuntu's partitioner as free space.

Disks are shown differently in Linux. I'm yet to use a device with a mSATA Intel RST SSD in it, but its likely it shows up as a second disk in Ubuntu's partitioner. I strongly suggest you have a full read of my Step by Step Ubuntu 11.04 installation guide, as it explains the partitioning stages in more detail. That said, it will show you the partition type, which for Windows will be NTFS, since this is Windows' own partition type.

But in summary, disks in Linux are indentified in the following manner:

From my Guide said:
Linux recognizes and assigns IDs to drive in a different manner to Windows. In the above image, you can clearly see my hard disk in the list. It is identified by "/dev/sda." Linux recognizes drives in the following way:
• Sda = 1st drive
• Sdb = 2nd drive
• Sdc = 3rd drive and so on

Partitions are also shown after the drive letters. So if I had 2 partitions on my first disk, they would be identified as:
• Sda1 – 1st drive, 1st partition
• Sda2 – 1st drive, 2nd partition

You will not see the common Windows C: label in the disk menu in the above list. You do, however, have key things to help you recognize your Windows C: drive. Both of these can be used to identify which is your Windows disk.
• The size of the disk is shown
• The name of the drive is shown

If you have more than one disk, they will show up as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb etc.
While you won't have the labels for the disks assigned by Windows, you have the total capacity and partition type to guide you. Windows will already be using three partitions, so the first partition you create in the free space you've created needs to be logical, and you need to allow at least 1.5 times the size of your RAM for SWAP.

Since you have 100GB to play with, I recommend you create four new logical partitions: 30GB for root ( / ), 20GB for /usr, 40GB for /home and the remainder as a partition for SWAP. If you need more assistance or you want to be sure you're doing the right thing, screenshot the partition manager screen in Ubuntu's installer, or write out all of the information you are presented in a reply and I'll edit it to show you what it should look like, and what everything is.

Linux recognizes and assigns IDs to drive in a different manner to Windows. In the above image, you can clearly see my hard disk in the list. It is identified by "/dev/sda." Linux recognizes drives in the following way:
• Sda = 1st drive
• Sdb = 2nd drive
• Sdc = 3rd drive and so on

Partitions are also shown after the drive letters. So if I had 2 partitions on my first disk, they would be identified as:
• Sda1 – 1st drive, 1st partition
• Sda2 – 1st drive, 2nd partition

You will not see the common Windows C: label in the disk menu in the above list. You do, however, have key things to help you recognize your Windows C: drive. Both of these can be used to identify which is your Windows disk.
• The size of the disk is shown
• The name of the drive is shown

If you have more than one disk, they will show up as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb etc.
Thanks for that one, dude, I forgot to include it in the guide! As usual I'm trying to keep it newbie-oriented, so this will help.

To OP: Can you please provide some specific details on the installation procedures you followed?

Back