Ugh... Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, new to the forum. I've been here many times reading old posts, and I hope someone here can help me.

I bought some RAM off of a friend, and I've been trying to get it working. I've only got a 1 GB, stick and I bought a 2GB Dual-Channel pack. They're a G-Skill 240-pin DDR2 2x1GB 2GB Pack, model number F2-6400CL4D.

Anyway, I have a green and an orange RAM slot. The green is nearest to the CPU. (Picture and specs of MB in the link at the bottom of my post). When I put either stick into the orange slot, my computer will not boot at all. No visual of the BIOS screen, anything. And I get the continuous long beep error code (indicating a memory problem). When either stick is the only one, and in the green one, my PC functions fine. On CPU-Z, my memory tab says that I'm running in Single Channel Mode. I was wondering if I needed to update my BIOS, or if it was a logic error on my part.

Here's the info on my motherboard: newegg(dot)com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130542

So let my fully understand your issue. Are you having problem with the ram you bought off of your friend or are you having problems when you have all 3 memory sticks installed?

Dual channel requires using matched pairs of memory sticks. Running an odd number of memory sticks will set the memory to run in single channel mode.

Mixing memory isn't recommended unless specs and memory speed is the same.

The colors on the ram slots mean that, they have to be filled in order... if u have... green orange green orange.

depending if green is slot 0 or orange is 0,

so what needs to happen is fill only the green slots first, then the orange,

or if the orange = 0 , then fill the orange slots first, then the green.

hope this helps

I only have 1 green and 1 orange slot, and I put in both of the new RAM cards. They are matching. But when both are in, it doesn't boot, and I have to take one out of the orange for it to boot. I want it to where I can run on both.

I looked at your motherboard and, as you know, you only have two RAM slots. Go into the BIOS and check the RAM voltage to make sure it is set to the correct amount for your RAM. I believe your RAM needs 1.9 - 2.0 volts.

just had a look at your MB Manual and I am stumped with their instructions,
maybe someone that understands their logic can enlighten you and i both on this one.
see extracts from manual below:

"Main Memory
l Dual channel memory architecture ( DIMM1 must be first installed)
l 2 x 240-pin DIMM slots, support DDRII 400/533/667/800 memory modules.
(For the updated supporting memory modules, please visit http://www.msi.com.tw/
program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_trp_list.php )

Memory
The mainboard provides two 240-pin unbuffered DDR II 400 / 533 / 667 / 800 DIMM slots, and
supports the memory size up to 2GB. To operate properly, at least one memory module must be
installed.
Install at least one memory module on the slots. Memory modules can be installed on the slots in
any order. You can install either single- or double-sided modules to meet your own needs.
Installing DDR II Modules"

good luck

Are MSI suggesting that you insert one of the the dual channel modules in DIMM1 save and shutdown, then install the second module?

The manual states "Dual channel memory architecture ( DIMM1 must be first installed)"

Then states "Memory modules can be installed on the slots in
any order."

All that I can work out by their instructions is: you must install DIMM1 first for Dual channel operation, which means that you insert one of the dual channel modules in Dimm1 (nearest the processor), save and exit bios, shutdown and then insert the second module, enter the bios again and save and restart.

See what i mean it makes no sense, system accepts single module in Dimm1 but not both modules in Dimm1 and Dimm2.

no harm in trying what i just suggested.

Pcaceit: Ok. I tried installing the pieces one by one, and it didn't work.

Kimsland: If you were pointing out that it says 1.8 volts, my old ram is a 1.9 to 2.0, and I've been using it for years. The dual RAM kit is the same voltage.

Mailpup: I checked my voltages and they are correct.

Still not working.

Verify that the slot is not blown, try your old ram in the Dimm2 (if your old ram is not Dual channel).

if it works fine then i would suspect it's a compatibility issue with the new ram. is the new ram on MSI's recommended Ram List?

Footnote:
I have had two identical modules (non Dual channel) that pass memtest that would only work one way around (Dell machine). when i switched them i got memory error beeps.

Would also suggest that you clear CMOS and try that slot again

If you used two modules before you attempted the upgrade then insert both of them and see all the ram is being read. both are ok then you have a compatability issue with your new ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back