Unable to detect SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here it goes. I've just put together a new build and i'm stuck, Bios picks up the hard drive but Ubuntu doesn't. So i realized SATA wasn't enable so i changed that but now bios gets stuck on a screen saying "detecting array." I'm on a Gigabyte mobo but they're support hasn't done anything for me. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You must install your SATA drivers from your OS. I am not a linux/unix person, so I don't know how this is done.

Hanging ten........

When presented with SATA HDDs, most, (if not all) Linux installs will hang and ask for a SATA driver disk. A floppy drive would be required at this point. Beyond that some chipsets (actually BIOS(notably Intel)) can present SATA drives as IDE to the OS. My 915 Intel board fools Ubuntu into installing without drivers, in spite of 2 SATA drives in the box, but my later Intel 965WM board fails to convince any Linux distro that the drives are IDE. This is the equivalent install point where Windows would ask you to press F6 to install the SATA drivers. Intel offers "Intel Matrix Storage" drivers with their boards, I haven't tried to install Ubuntu over this driver disk, since I'm not using RAID with the Windows XP. I'm running the drives as IDE. Perhaps your mobo manufacturers has a SATA driver you can download and put on a floppy. I know having to have a floppy drive just for these drivers is an extreme nuisance.

As an afterthought, you might want to try this thread in "The Alternative OS" forum. As it really is a Linux specific issue, and that's pretty much the whole point over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back