Undervolting P4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright... I've got a P4 3.0GHz and an Asrock P4V88 Motherboard. I've updated the bios to the latest version but it doesn't have any way of changing core voltage. Anyone know of any other way of changing the core voltage?

The system is running unusually hot and i think this is the reason for its instability. I would idealy like to change from the 1.4V currently to about 1.2V as i find this reduces CPU temp by 10-15 degrees with little loss in performance.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You wouldn't see any loss in performance when lowering voltage at all... you see a drop in system stability, though. If the processor cannot achieve 3ghz at 1.2V you could see crashes, freezes, power offs, memory errors, etc.

And, most cheap motherboards do not give you the choice of altering settings such as that. ASROCK is a cheap/budget brand, like ECS or PCCHIPS. You get what you pay for with those boards.

yeah, i didnt have enough cash at the time :(

No programs out there that could do the job from windows? I know there's programs for the AMD64....

you could try soft FSB to lower the FSB, perhaps, if you are lucky. But the A64 is a far different beast than the P4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back