UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME (windows XP pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my life story...all of this occured on my computer that I built about 2 years ago, running on Windows XP...HD is SATA 80gig Maxtor

Cause: Power went out in my house the other night. I started my computer, everything worked out fine, then it just froze. I restarted the computer and everything seems to load properly, however right after the windows "load bar" type screen, a blue screen pops up with the message "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Stop: 0x000000ED (0x82109C08, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Fixes Tried:
1. Restarting with each of the "safe mode" options will not work
2. Restarting with "last known working configuration" will not work
3. Restarting windows normally will not work.

4. Created an emergency boot floppy to try and boot from that. That also did not work
5. Changed my BIOS preferences to "fail-safe defaults" After that, the windows "load bar" screen doesn't even come up and my computer seems to freeze. So that didn't work.
6. Accessed Recovery console and ran "fixboot" and that didn't work.
7. Accessed Recovery console and ran "fixmbr" and that didn't work.
8. Accessed Recovery console and ran "chkdsk /r" and "chkdsk /p" both seem to freeze on 14%
9. Accessed Recovery console to try and manually rewrite some config files...however I can't even create a tmp dir since it says "access denied" if I try to copy/delete/md...so that didn't work
10. I know the microsoft support site mentions something about UDMA hard disk controller and 40-wire compared to 80-wire cables, but my HD is SATA so I'm not sure if that applies here. Anyways, tried everything they suggested on the site, and nothing works.
11. I know I can use the XP CD and do a repair install, but I don't have the XP CD so I'm trying to find other options.

I'm getting ready to throw my computer out the window. If there is anything that you don't see on this list that you think would fix this problem, please HELP!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A power outage while the computer is running can damage the file system. "Restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume". from MS Knowledge Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back