Unreal2 Dolby Digital content

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

Audio System: Windows® compatible sound card (*Sound Blaster® Audigy(tm) series sound card RECOMMENDED) (NVIDIA® nForce or other motherboards/soundcards containing the Dolby® Digital Interactive Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio. Also RECOMMENDED)

This was taken form the system requirements. When it says that you need "Interactive content Encoder"

Does that mean you need a external amp/chip. Or just some software codec???

From what i know, cards like SBLIVE 5.1 DE and SB LIVE Audigy have internal encoders for Dolby Digital feature. In other words they are capable of reproducing Dolby Digital audio.

It should not be a problem for your card to do the Dolby Digital thingey if you are playing the game.

Encoding isn't the same as decoding. If the game or those cards just encode sound to Dolby Digital and then feed the stream to soundcard's digital out connector, you will still need an external DD decoder/amplifier, don't you?

What it means is to get Dolby Digital output in the game you need a nForce motherboard with MCP-D.
Nothing else will do it. So yes you also need a decoder as well.

UT 2003 doesn't support dolby digital at all basically. It's just some BS marketing thing with Dolby they have going on.

If your soundcard supports DirectSound3D you'll get 3D Audio just fine, ignore the dolby digital crap.

Thanks,

Im not that worried, although I have a Dolvy reciever, and I was just wondering if it would use it thats all.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
you will still need an external DD decoder/amplifier, don't you?

It depends on what speakers you are using, some speakers have internal DD decoder like Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital.

I have the yamaha TSS-1 set. They do have a home theatre reciever in them

I play DVD's through it in digital, and thats al good.

Originally posted by young&wild
It depends on what speakers you are using, some speakers have internal DD decoder like Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital.
Nope, they don't.
Basically its nothing to worry about unless you have A. An nForce with S/PDIF out. B. A Dolby Digital decoder you are connected to. Even then the game has obsolutely nothing to do with it.
I'll try email dolby soon to find out exactly what them certifying a game means, as thus far it has absolutely nothing to do with the game beyond it supporting DirectSound3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back