Upcoming Samsung TV 'Remote Access' feature will allow users to control their PC from...

Polycount

Staff

The line between console and PC gaming is becoming increasingly blurred as of late. While there are obviously still many major differences between the two, the gaming industry has been working hard to bridge that gap.

Microsoft, in particular, has made a significant amount of progress in that regard. The company's "Xbox Play Anywhere" initiative allows for select games to be bought once and played across both PC and console, and more recently, it rolled out keyboard and mouse support to the Xbox One.

Soon, Samsung's 2019 smart TV line-up will allow for a big-screen PC gaming experience without the need to pick up a Steam Link or drag your machine into your living room. The TVs will include a feature called "Remote Access," which lets customers wirelessly stream their PCs' output to their TV, while controlling everything with a keyboard and mouse.

In short, it sounds like Samsung is making its own mini version of TeamViewer, exclusively for use with its TVs. Samsung's version will presumably be smoother than TeamViewer, though, since the company is touting gaming as one of Remote Access' main selling points.

Of course, Remote Access' potential use cases extend far beyond content streaming and pseudo-PC gaming. The feature could also be popular among business customer - it eliminates the need for a projector or other more complicated (and expensive) solutions.

Samsung hasn't announced exactly which smart TV models will be the first to receive Remote Access, but we'll likely learn more in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

Meh. As an avid PC gamer I tried several times the PC game on a big TV approach and was never satisfied with the result.

- still needed to use mouse and keyboard to get going as there are no windows solutions for controller

- MANY (intentional caps) games do not support DualShock4 natively, so I end up having Tomb Raider telling me to immediatly press "B" so I can beat some rock that is stopping me from going further under water and I end up dying because my muscle memory didnt tell me that B was actually circle button

- Vsync!!! Is awful!!! If I dont use it I will end up with massive tearing lines across the 55 inch screen and trust me it sucks

- Vsync again!! The lag it introduces + tv lag makes the whole experience terrible to say the least

- the mist played PC games arent even meant for TV. LoL,Dota, CS, civilization, football manager, starcraft etc they all terrible from the couch

- AAA single player games. Yeah... Assassins creed, tomb raider, wildlands, watch dogs or <insert another ubisoft reskinned game here> . while on console We have red dead redemption, god of war, spider man, horizon, mario galaxy, detroit, uncharted and a bunch of other single player couch experiences available

My pc is used for RTS, mobas, online shooters and simulation games and thats it. For a big screen experience ps4 is king imho.

"without the need to pick up a Steam Link"

1. They stopped making the Steam Link
2. Samsung TVs have the Steam Link app built in for free.

Basically, if you game, stick to the Steam Link app - the lag when you're on Ethernet is damn low from my usage.

Meh. As an avid PC gamer I tried several times the PC game on a big TV approach and was never satisfied with the result.

- still needed to use mouse and keyboard to get going as there are no windows solutions for controller

- MANY (intentional caps) games do not support DualShock4 natively, so I end up having Tomb Raider telling me to immediatly press "B" so I can beat some rock that is stopping me from going further under water and I end up dying because my muscle memory didnt tell me that B was actually circle button

Just use an Xbox One/360 controller. Unsurprisingly, Microsoft made more effort for their controllers on their platform than Sony ever did. Sony has done now, and Steam has joined in, meaning more games are getting PS4 inputs, but yeah, still easier to use an Xbox one. Also works natively and simply, has done since Windows 7, works perfectly.

Getting there. Now make my thought better!

When can I project my brain onto my TV? Now that would be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting there. Now make my thought better!

When can I project my brain onto my TV? Now that would be interesting.
You've got it backwards, they want to project what they want into your brain...

Back