Upcoming tech demo shows the photorealistic possibilities of Unreal Engine 4

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4 has been available to developers for a few years now and has served as the basis for several great games including PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds and Gears of War 4. As graphic artist Rense de Boer recently demonstrated, however, we’ve barely scratched the surface of that’s graphically possible with the engine.

Through a process called photogrammetry, de Boer used real-life photographs to create what you see above using the Unreal Engine and two GeForce 1080 Ti graphics cards. The goal, de Boer said, was to see what was possible when pushing the limits of software and hardware.

The graphic artist is currently developing a demo environment that can be explored in real-time which should be available on Steam by the end of the year.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Think today's games are impressive, just wait another 5 or 10 years!

That is impressive.

Had I not know I would have assumed that it was legit video with some post-processing filters going on.

Am I the only one who is unimpressed? It's ROCKS. When we have photo-realistic organic materials, such as foliage or wildlife or even people, then I'll raise an eyebrow.

Right now it takes two GTX 1080 Ti's but in the relative blink of an eye, a single $250 mainstream card will do the same thing at twice the frame rate in the very near future, such is the progress of this type of tech. It does look impressive.

Static objects are one thing .... realistic movement and imitation of speech that stays in perfect sync with player expression, etc. is quite another. The jury is still out in my book ....

This video gets me excited for the upcoming title "Geology warrior" and "Virtual geologist PhD" coming out in a couple years...

Am I the only one who is unimpressed? It's ROCKS. When we have photo-realistic organic materials, such as foliage or wildlife or even people, then I'll raise an eyebrow.
Most beautiful ROCKS I've ever seen!

This what the 4th or 5th time of so called promised photo realistic textures in games I've heard this time and time again since the early 90's from the likes of S3, nVidia, ATI and Voodoo and so 20+ years later and were still seeing just demos

.[/QUOTE]
Most beautiful ROCKS I've ever seen![/QUOTE]

You have to take a trip to Newfoundland ,Nice Rocks! they don't call it the ROCK for nothing.

Still that's some nice rendering though.

Yep, I think you are.

They have been doing photorealistic cars ( in my opinion ) for some time now. The reason I find this more impressive is that the cars are typically smooth, reflective surfaces. These "rocks" on the other hand have multiple textures, some are smoother, some are rough, some have no cracks, some have multiple cracks, and lots of gravel.

Your not still using 800 X 600 aren't you?

EDIT :

Arizona and New Mexico are just as beautiful as the Amazon, the beauty is just in something different.

Back