Updating ATI Radeon HD 4200 driver

horseatingweeds

Windows xp sp3

I'm trying to update my video card driver. My monitor has stopped going into sleep mode. If I restart, the monitor starts going into sleep mode properly. I think it 'forgets' its sleep mode after I watch Netflix streaming video - I don't know. But I suspect the driver needs updating.

Current driver version: 8.632.0.0

This video card is integrated with an ASUS motherboard. I tried finding a driver on the ASUS website but had no luck, the HD 4200 wasn't listed. I think I found the driver here: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_xp-32.aspx#2 But I'm left a little confused. When I download the driver I got an executable file. I ran it, and installed the files it contained in a convenient spot.

After installing/uncompresing the files, the installer wants to run and install a program called Catalyst. What am I supposed to do here? Catalyst didn't come with the software for the motherboard. I'm not sure what Catalyst is. And I'm not sure where to point Hardware Update Wizard within the driver folder the download gave me.

Can I just ignore the software that's trying to download and point Hardware Update Wizard at the folder I downloaded, or at the 'driver' folder within that folder? Is a driver a set of files or a single file?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Catalyst" is just the name given to the driver software by AMD/ATI. When you download the full software suite from AMD you get the Catalyst Control Center (abbreviated CCC) which allows you to better control your graphics controller. Alternatively, if you don't want to use the control center, you can download the "display driver only" package from the site and install it normally.

Back