Upgrade Extreme4 Gen 3 P67 Mobo for GTX970 and i7 4790k?

Good morning, I recently ordered an Asus GTX 970 Strix and an i7 4790k CPU as well as a water cooling system for the CPU (CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i).

My current specs are as follows (red text is what is being replaced)
  • CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
  • P67 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard
  • Corsair 850W PSU
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
My rig is not meeting the demands of the newer PC games when I want to run on high/ultra high settings with all of the tessellation settings and nicer effects turned on.

I may upgrade to a faster ram speed as well as increasing the amount of memory to 12 or 16GB.

The question I'd like to ask is "Am I limiting the new CPU and GPU a lot by not upgrading the motherboard and also how much bottlenecking will occur?". I have about $150.00 US left in my budget for a motherboard if it necessary to upgrade. I'd like to go on and place the order for the parts within the next few days but I can wait and do more research (or just ask questions as I am now, lazy research) and hopefully gain better understanding of this all.

Thanks very much, cheers

Your motherboard is designed for the socket LGA 1155 series of Intel processors. The i7 4790k that you ordered is the newest Intel 4th generation of cpus called Haswell. It is a socket LGA 1150 processor and will not work in your current board as per ASRock specs.

Also, 8 gigs is more than enough for gaming. Unless you are doing video rendering and graphics intensive applications you don't need 12 or 16 gigs of RAM

Back