upgrade W2K pro to W2K advanced server not allowed ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstoned

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
here's the setup:
Have all ready upgraded 1 server from W2K pro sp2 to W2K server sp2
and had no problems
that was about over a yr ago, a server I built,last month, customer running windows 2000 pro slipstreamed with sp3, running no BSOD's, just normal stuff.
customer asked for upgrade to advanced server with sp4 slipstreamed.
I get a message setup not allowed W2K pro sp3 to W2K advanced server SP4
but will install as new OS

Well, ME came out after W2K, and AFAIK you can't DOWNgrade.
But then, who in their right mind would install puke: ME :knock: in the first place?

OK
went back, tried to install upgrade to W$K server standard edition
but with the slipstream sp4 ,still no go.this time bought the original disc with sp2
and that would not upgrade as the pro edition uses sp3
thanks for the link on upgrade paths Caratacus
from what they list should not be able to upgrade at all ,I remember doing an
upgrade with W$K sp2 pro to W$K servers p2 worked fine ?
guess I am stuck with loading all the software ,yuck :dead:

I do remember reading somewhere something that agreed with what you were saying, that you could indeed upgrade pro to server - perhaps this was when Win2k initially came out, and the position has since been reversed.

Was it me, I'd want a fresh installation anyway. For example, if you have a look at some of the patches that are going to be applied once you do the installation, I'm not sure you'd want a mix of Pro and Advanced Server patches, even if they are ostensibly for the same item. There's about a million (ok, maybe less) things that also spring to mind here, but my basic rule is that servers get a fresh install if it's possible and I'd want a complete reformat before the installation too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back