Upgraded from xp to Linux peppermint. Now want to upgrade to Vista?

My system specs are.
Sony VGC-V2C, Pentium 4 -3.20 GHz -2Gb RAM -400Gb Hard Drive.

I have used this PC for almost 10 years, Used XP on it without any trouble until recently a blue screen kept popping up and the computer restarted. It was really frustrating. I tried installing win7 on it but it would not overwrite the existing XP on C partition, I installed on the D partition but it appeared in a 4:3 resolution, so I changed the hard drive and installed linux peppermint 5, but I'm not happy with it, its very confusing. so I thought of vista, will it work on my PC? if not then can you tell me, any other OS that resembles windows, and is easier to use than peppermint and Linux.
And please no upgrade to a new computer, I don't have the money or the tech-savvy nature which forces to buy a newer PC, every 10 years.. :p
I just need a PC that I can watch movies on, a few applications and internet use for facebook, twitter and browsing etc.

Hi, One major problem that you will have now, is that XP and Vista are not supported by Microsoft, you might be able to register a new installation on your PC but there will be no updates or security patches to download, and your system will be 'at risk' every time you connect to the internet.
On my spare PC I have Linux Mint 17 (2015) and I would say it is very much like a cross between XP and Vista, more Vista. It would do all you want to do and is free.
You could see what it looks like by going to Youtube and searching for 'Linux Mint 17 reviews'. Linux has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years, it's now very easy to use and works well with older pc hardware too.

Back