Upgraded RAM, got CMOS error

Hi , I have 1gbx3 XMS2 DDR 3 corsair memory sticks in each slots. I have 4 slots in my mb . I decided to upgrade the ram . I bought a 4GBx1 now and I will be buying another one like that soon for dual channel. now the problem is this. with the 3 gbs everything works right , but when I input the 4GBx1 Corsair DDR3 1333 9-9-9-24 in any of the four slots it gets me to a black screen with white writing showing a message ''bad CMOS '' something ( I have an attachment of this problem). and the other option is to load the system as it is but when I do this it logs well in windows but with no GFX detected and lowest resolution with alot of colours :S ! but still shoeing that I have 4 GBS ram . BTW my mb supports this ram and max ram size is 16GB so there is no problem with compatibility. Going back to the first option which is taking u in the cmos bios if I press F10 to save and restart still same screen comes up . Can u tell me whats wrong please . here is a pic of the problem.

MY specs: PSU 500Watt
CPU: AMD Athlon II x 4 620
GFX GT 430 1 GB
RAM 3gbs DDR 3 (1Gbx3)
running on windows7 64bit

Attachments

• ram problem2.png
    ram problem2.png
    764 KB · Views: 11
It wouldn't make sense that he has to use 2GB RAM modules as the board says it supports 16GB total, this would require 4GB sticks in each slot.

Only things that comes to mind is that maybe the voltage settings were changed and it is causing issues with it. Other suggestion is the PSU. If for some reason the 4GB stick is causing more of a power draw and the PSU is having a hard time supplying enough power then it could cause issues..

I am leaning more towards the PSU side.. If possible I would test the PSU to ensure it is stable, also ensure it is giving enough power for the system..

a 500Watt power supply should be fine for the system. Another thing to try is resetting your BIOS settings to Default. However, I would go through all the settings and mark them down. If you are running a RAID then do not reset the settings but confirm the memory settings are defaulted.

It would make sense depending on the board. I have a board that if you want to run 4 gigs only you have to run 2x2gigs. If you want to run eight gigs it has to be 2x4gigs. They must be ran in pairs and not with singles in order for it to work. If I was to try and run 3x1gig with a 4gig . I will get the same boot up screen he is getting now.

Hm, that seems odd as it means it's stuck to running Dual-Channel only, and will not manually switch to Single-Channel when required, but I guess it makes sense. Haven't run into the problem myself but I'm sure it's possible. In that case, he could always check if there is a Dual-Channel setting in his BIOS options and disable it to run in Single-Channel mode.

I have not ran across a lot of boards like this. But the ones I have had been in retail computers, Like Hp and so forth. Where there is no settings in there bios at all. So there forth if his is not from a retail computer hopefully there is a setting in his bios to disable dual-channels.

Hopefully, not sure if he's going to reply back to this post or not, but if he does hopefully we get more information/an update about the issue.

Back