Upgrading from celeron to P4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello , I have an hp a305w(mobo specs below) with a 2.7ghz celeron processor and someone gave me a dell (bad power suppy) with a 2.9ghz P4 processor. Both are 478 pin and mobo specs say it supports P4 also. I swapped the chips out Perfect fit, and the computer will not boot with the new P4 , only boots w/the old celeron. Powers on and the fan works just wont boot with the P4 processor. Am I missing something? Is it more than just a chip swap? heres the mo specs.

Feature/specification Trigem motherboard
Motherboard name Glendale P4G533
System BIOS supplier Phoenix ASUS/Award
Form factor uATX uATX
Processor brand Intel Intel
Processor socket type mPGA478 mPGA478
Processor family P4 and Celeron (Willamette, Northwood) P4 and Celeron (Willamette, Northwood)
Processor front side bus (FSB) 400 MHz
Chipset name 845GL 845GL
Chipset "north bridge" 845GL, rev. A1 845GL, rev. A1
Chipset "south bridge" ICH4, rev. A1 ICH4, rev. A1
Super I/O SMSC LPC47M102, REV. VS142AV ITE, IT8708F
Flash BIOS device FWH 4 MB 2 MB flash EEPROM
Memory type DDR DDR
Memory speed PC2100, PC2700 messages at PC2100 PC2100, PC2700 messages at PC2100
Memory sockets 2 DIMMS, 184 pin 2 DIMMS, 184 pin
Maximum memory 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)
Graphics supplier Intel
Graphics configuration Integrated in chipset Integrated in chipset
Onboard graphics memory UMA/up to 64 MB shared with system UMA/up to 64 MB shared with system
Graphics connector (AGP) None None
Audio AC'97, integrated
Audio CODEC device ADI1981A Realtek ALC202A
Audio jacks Microphone, Line-in, Line-out, Speaker Microphone, Line-in, Line-out, Speaker
Ethernet 10/100 supplier Realtek RTL8100(B) Realtek RTL8100(B)
Ethernet configuration PCI, intergrated PCI, intergrated
IDE UDMA modes ATA-66/100 ATA-66/100
Expansion slots Three PCI Three PCI
USB ports Six Six
USB front/back panel options 2 front, 4 back 2 front, 4 back
External ports 1 serial, 1 parallel, 1 floppy, PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mo

Its not,I verified this in the dell. The power supply just randomly shuts the dell off, green light and all, it just wont stay running more than a couple minutes.

It doesn't say the motherboard supports all Intel P4s, just Willamette and Northwood. Perhaps the Dell P4 belongs to another family (like Prescott) or perhaps it is a Dell special proprietary P4.

P4G533 - there's your answer.

It appears to support 533MHz FSB {not the 800MHz of later P4's}

Your new CPU isn't compatible with the Motherboard unfortunately, coz it'd be considerably faster.

Actually the 845GL chipset doesn't support any FSB above 400MHz so it's almost sure that P4 will not work on that motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back