Upgrading my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKahuna

Hi,
I own a Dell Inspiron B130 and i want to upgrade the processor and add more RAM. Does anyone know where i can find upgrades for my notebook/laptop?i would preferably like to upgrade to at least 2.4GHz and at least 512MB of RAM.
Thanks

system specs----
intel celeron m
1.60GHz processor, 504MB of RAM

You can add more RAM. Changing processors would be tricky to impossible.

I imagine it takes regular ddr SODIMM RAM, but you can go to www.crucial.com and use their tool to figure out exactly what you need. You can buy from them or order from any online retailer such as newegg or zipzoomfly.

what is overclock and how can it be done.i would like to get 2.4GHz out of it.

i did a crucial scan and it tells me that i have 512MB of memory but my system properties says i have 504MB which one should i believe?

overclocking increases the speed of your processor. your processor has a clock speed yours is 1.6ghz i dont nkow exactly how much more speed you can get out of it but there are overclocking guides on techspot under the guides title

the only overclocking ive seen on ts is for athlon and there was a a guide for bios/overclocking when i read it it was for updating bios nothing about overclocking. do you of anywhere else where i can figure out and understand how to overclock?

Google is one of the most wonderful things to happen to this world. Doing your own research and self-educating can work wonders.

You have 512MB of RAM for sure, because there's no such thing as a stick of 504MB memory. It is not a problem at all if a computer displays your memory as 504MB instead of 512MB. It is very normal, just like how 1GB memory is displayed as 0.99GB sometimes.

SNGX1275 said:
Changing processors would be tricky to impossible.
Affirmative :)

The mobo/CPU would the the hardest parts to upgrade for a laptop. This is why the most important thing to look at when purchasing a laptop is to get future-proof parts for the components that are hard to replace (the CPU).

I would also discourage trying to overclock, especially because you've never heard of this term before. But also because overclocking is not a popular thing for a laptop....it is hardly (if ever) done.

I think adding another 512MB of RAM is your best way of getting more performance. Memory upgrades give you a very noticeable speed increase, and is much easier than upgrading a laptop's processor.

but overclocking does not always help it can some time lead to unstability which can leadto your cpu crashing and make your processor overheat but there still are some proccesors that are 100% stable

if overclocking is everhardly done then why is alienware coming out with a laptop thats overclocked alredy for you

they should usally state what type of proccesor for example like min requirements intel pentium 4 2.4ghz i think there refering to a pentium for so either way a core 2 duo 1.6ghz will leave a pentuim 4 3.0ghz in dust i read the min reqiurments and im almost 99.9% sure there refering to a pentium 4

Computer~freak~ said:
but overclocking does not always help it can some time lead to unstability which can leadto your cpu crashing...
All processors can be overclocked a few hundred megahertz, but only if the motherboard supports overclocking and most motherboards found in laptops don't. You know you've overclocked the CPU too much when the system becomes unstable and that's when you should lower the overclock a couple Mhz until it becomes stable.

Computer~freak~ said:
...and make your processor overheat but there still are some proccesors that are 100% stable
No. Overclocking almost never makes a CPU overheat. Overvolting certainly could though.

i know i have on-board graphics. dell inspiron b130 how do i tell if it has 3-D graphics card with 128mb memory

Install the newest driver for your integrated graphics card, then try to run any 3D game in hardware mode (not software) and see if it work or look for any 3D settings in your driver configuration window.

thats the thing i dont know who the card is made by i right click on the desktop then it gives the display options and that is all intel

o i think your graphic card is like wats in my old dell its probaly a intergrated dgraphics cars that means its build into the motherboard

Go to control panel, then hit system, then hardware, then device manager. It is under display adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back