Upgrading, read this first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

taimuraly

Hello everyone, the new Microsoft Operating system "Vista" will be coming out soon. It’s supposed to be quite demanding as it requires a 128 MB graphics card to function.
And with it also comes the new Direct X 10. It would bring tools for game manufactures to produce new better looking titles, better than the first game using Direct X 9 - Doom 3. But with it comes a serious problem.
The new PCI Express cards, NVIDIA 7800 and the ATI 1900 X are the most expensive and most compatible with all the features coming in the games today. They are really good in performance and all games play with good FPS. But will they be compatible with those games using Direct X 10 in the future. And if not, than it means that there should be no need for people already owning a good enough graphic card to go buy them as they might not be compatible with the games of the future.

NVIDIA also announced the 78000 GS AGP and then we have the ATI 850 AGP. But both are not marketed direct X 10 compatible. This may leave many to wonder if there will be a new AGP card from both the brands coming soon and so it would be useless to buy one of these. But if not, then will it be the end of the AGP slot and should we all just throw our old PC and start saving money for a new PCI machine. (Even though many think that people should already just move on to PCI, I think that everyone with a P4 running at 2 GHz or more would disagree)

I might be over reacting but I think we all should think before upgrading our machines with these graphic cards as it may be a risky investment. Do comment. Thanks.

I wouldnt be in any rush to install vista. MS new OS usually take some months to get mainstream support for all apps.

there are still very few native 64-bit multithreaded applications out let alone native vista apps. Hopefully that will change sooner than later.

Its not fair !!!!

great thread ! i also was shocked to know that maybe ive2 dump my blazing 7800gt pcie16x(dx9.c sm3) and get another card with dx10 support to keep up with technology? :suspiciou
This is not fair to end users!! it has not been long since dx9c cards were in the market? And another dx10 card. Hope nvidia and ati release new firmware to make current high end cards 2 support dx10!!! instead of new dx10 chipsets which we have 2 shell out hundreds of dough again !!
Same with AMD, which are about to release cpus (quad core) on other platform other than 939. we have 2 upgrade again??
true, its the ever changing tech road and nobody is forcing me to upgrade. but its not been long i got my Amd64 3500+, A8nE,7800gt, 512x2 corsiar dchannel, 160 gb sata2 seagate samsung 997df monitor. Even if it is not really the best specs, its all i can afford. But like u like anybody else, i want to keep up with bleeding edge hardware. it just made me feel my rigs outdated!! :eek:
well, whew, am pleased to know at least i dont have to upgrade my monitor, keyboard, mouse!!! :haha:
friends, would really like 2 hear ur comments so please continue...... :hotouch:

Guys, chill out! I have a 4 year old card, but it runs all of the Direct-X versions fine. DirectX 10 will work on all of the modern cards. If it didn't, microsoft wouldn't make any money, as no one could install their OS. Almost all graphic cards are DirectX 10 compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back