Upgrading Video card on Model T2460 Emachines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbadboyca

I am trying to upgrade the video card on Model T2460 Emachines to a XFX Geforce 7800GS AGP 256mb DDR3 DVI/VGA/tv_out card.

My computer has the following:

2400 AMD Athlon XP Home Edition Processor

256 MD DDR

3D ProSavage8 w/ available AGP slot (this is the vid card)

60 GB Hard Drive

Model T2460 Emachines

I am having issues installing. When I started I disabled the video card, and shut down the CPU. When I booted back up, I had no graphics after replacing old card with new card. I switched back to the old card, and still no graphics. I had to keyboard control my way through and went into properties to enable the card, still nothing. I unplugged the card. I popped the system battery out for a little bit for the motherboard to reset and system came back to normal I think. Can anyone help me replace the card? Thanks in advance!

So you are deleting the old video drivers, shutting down the system, installing new card and plugging monitor into the new card, booting up and getting NOTHING on screen?

Couple questions:

1. Do you have your PSU connection going directly to the video card?
2. Scary question. Tell us a bit more about your PSU.... how many watts?

Clueless at work

I am sorry, I have no idea what the PSU stats are. I am currently at work, trying to get answers and assistance. Right now, the computer is working properly I think. If it is, can you tell me specific steps on beginning to replace the video card? I looked it up online, and it said the graphics card I bought is compatible with my system. Normally, you just have to plug and play, install new drivers, and it should work. Not the case with this.

When you installed the card, there may have been a step you missed. You don't just stick the card in the slot. You actually have to hook a 4pin power connector to the card as well. Did you miss that step?

My issue

Negative. I hooked up everything as required. Do you have to slick the drivers, dis-able anything, or can you just plug in the card, connect the cable, and turn on machine? Is there something else that is required? What am I missing? I notice others trying on different machines, stating you have to play with the BIOS, things like that. Is that necessary for this machine? Any guidance, including, normal step-by-step install directions would be greatly appreciated.

The usual steps are:

1. Boot in safe mode (not necessary but recommended)
2. Uninstall current video drivers.

Usually this is the step in which you'd adjust your bios settings, but you are currently using an AGP card, right? So your AGP is already set as your "init boot display". No need to adjust any bios settings in your case.

3. Shut down computer and install new card (including the 4pin power connector to the card)
4. Connect monitor to new video card and boot up. Windows SHOULD automatically find new hardware and ask you for the drivers.

Now, in your case, you are getting NOTHING? Makes me think either you have a faulty new card, or your power supply simply is not up to the job. If that is the case, power supplies are relatively cheap, and easy to replace.

Will try

Thanks. I will try it again tonight when I get home, and if nothing happens, I will be back for additional assistance. Normally, upgrading the video card is not that difficult. Once you take out the Prosavage card, and replace with new card, things should work. Is it possible to just plug new card in available AGP slot, leaving old card in place, and use it? After switching cards, you boot up, in regular mode, and then utilize CD if necessary, correct? XP normally see's everything, and you dont have to install anything unless you want to. Correct? If you just replace cards, and do not delete old drivers, what difference does it make? Can't I just delete them afterwards? Just curious. Thanks again!!!

According to eMachines, your PSU is 250w. I can make a judgement that your system does not put out enough power for the new card, making a blank screen. I would get a cheap PSu, maybe 350w. There are some good places out there to buy it, and here's a place(alothough not the cheapest they have fastest delivery)

350w PSU

It's a 350w PSU, compatible with your system, only about $60 if you live in the US.

Hope I helped out! :)

sw123

Thanks`

So, 100Watts will make that big of a difference? Didn't realize that. When I cross checked to see if the card is ok, it never mentioned power. Imagine that. Is it worth trying, to install without new PSU? Or is it better to wait, get the new PSU, and install everything together?

mbadboyca said:
Thanks. I will try it again tonight when I get home, and if nothing happens, I will be back for additional assistance. Normally, upgrading the video card is not that difficult. Once you take out the Prosavage card, and replace with new card, things should work. Is it possible to just plug new card in available AGP slot, leaving old card in place, and use it? After switching cards, you boot up, in regular mode, and then utilize CD if necessary, correct? XP normally see's everything, and you dont have to install anything unless you want to. Correct? If you just replace cards, and do not delete old drivers, what difference does it make? Can't I just delete them afterwards? Just curious. Thanks again!!!

I think you are underestimating the importance of drivers for video cards. The drivers that are included in XP are not enough, and the drivers you choose are EXTREMELY important.

You can not leave old drivers installed. They need to be deleted. And you must install the new drivers for your new card to work properly. Not optional at all.

Did I mention I am hungover [off-topic alert] :haha:

Understood

I understand the importance of the drivers. Just a thought. Do you think it will work with a 100w disparity between what the card asks for and what the current PSU provides? Card asks for 350W and CPU only has 250W output. Would really like to see if it will work. Also, as far as memory, I am looking to upgrade that as well. Says I can use DDR, not sure if it is DDR2 compatiable. Any comments on that also? Thanks for all the assistance! take asiprin and lots of fluids, you'll feel better!

And one more thing for Don:

I upgraded my video card (using eMachines T2682) from the crappy integrated graphics to a PNY FX5500 128MB DDR PCI(or something like that :haha: ) and didnt take off the old drivers. I first shut off the computer, plugged in the new PCI card, I was able to see my windows desktop, and I installed the drivers from the CD, the screen flashed for a minute or so, and it prompted me to restart the computer. I did, and the screen came back on at the 800x600 resolution, and changed it to 1024x768 and I was able to play games like Battlefield 1942 and other games that never worked on my machine. These can also be used as instructions for the other guy.

Psu

Will the 100 watt disparity really dis-allow the card to work? I am going to get the 350 W and more memory soon, just want to try new card, and see how it is. Does anyone know if the emachine will take DDR2 memory? It says it has capablity of 2mg memory upgrade. Just doesn't state which ones it takes.

mbadboyca said:

Yes, you can uninstall the drivers after installation. To tell you the truth, I put in a new graphics card and never deleted the old drivers. I get afraid my new ones gonna crash and I can use the intel card and fix it. Don is right, 100w will make a HUGE difference. Just buy the new PSU and you can install it together.

For your RAM, I have some recommendations:

512 MB upgrade

256 MB upgrade

1 GB upgrade

all these can be used in your system, just a reminder, you have 256 MB RAM installed already. eMachines recommends doubling for optimal performance and putting in the full 2 GB MB RAM for maximum performance. You can order from eMachines, but I can find other places to order that may be cheaper an still work, however eMachines has a delivery rate of 2-3 business days after shipping and guarantees that your new parts will work in your eMachine. They have a 1-year warranty for repair and replace(if your new RAM doesnt work, they give you a second for free)

long post, maybe optimistic, but Im tryin to help, and im glad to help out a lot. :grinthumb

Best regards sw123

Thanks

Will work on it this weekend hopefully! Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks to everyone for all the assistance! :hotbounce :angel: :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back