US music sales up 3.1 percent in 2012 thanks to digital single sales

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Digital music is now responsible for more than half of all music sales in the US, according to figures recently released by Nielsen. It's a milestone for the industry as it's the first time that digital sales have topped physical...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/51236-us-music-sales-up-31-percent-in-2012-thanks-to-digital-single-sales.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Duckula22

As the music business executive that I am (I'm not) I have to always whine about piracy, and how we're being devastated by it, even when in reality business is good. It kinda sucks we can't charge $20 for a CD anymore, though.

G

Music does not sell because the product poor.

make better music and people will start buying again.

captaincranky

As the music business executive that I am (I'm not) I have to always whine about piracy, and how we're being devastated by it, even when in reality business is good. It kinda sucks we can't charge $20 for a CD anymore, though.
If you don't mind me asking, did you ever actually pay $20.00 for a reasonably current CD

captaincranky

Of course not. I was being sarcastic towards those whining execs.
Well Ducky, one of the saddest days of my life was when they installed this new forum software, and it omits the ":roleyes:" emoticon! I practically lived and died with it at the ready.

But speaking of album prices, I bought an MP-3 copy of Taylor Swift's "Red", for $1.99, during a one day sale at Amazon. Don't know if I'll even like it. But, I live in a "diverse" neighborhood, and I'm just laying in wait for someone to try and interrupt me while I'm playing it.